The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Suggestions/Opions on running thicker oil

EMX5636

I used to run Mobil 15w50 year round but recently swapped to VR1 20w50. It get's pretty cold over here in the winter, but the car is stored in a garage that stays above 45ish. I don't even consider driving the car till the engine warms up to about 160-170 though. 70-80 psi at idle when first cold, but settles down once fully warm to like 15 or so at 1,000rpm. Built engine, with Mitsu or ACL (I don't remember right now) bearings with a smidge of extra oil clearance.

The heavier oil will help save your oil pump if you rev to or over 8K rpm. I won't run anything thinner.

4thStroke

I'm a firm believer in 20w50. I've been around too many individuals who can verify the benefits of running the thicker oil in these motors. English Racing now has under driven oil pump gears to help keep the oil pressure down. I think 20w50 and VR1 with the under driven oil pump gear is the winning ticket.

JamesFoster

Brad Penn 20w-50 is what I run is hot and dry Southern California.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting G:
I thought you were supposed to run 20w /40 in the summer anyway? I could have sworn that's what mitsu recommends.

1989 Mirage 4g61t drivers side visor tells me 20w20 or 20w40, 5w30 suitable in colder climates.

I forget to look there when referencing my oil viscosity ideas.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned