The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stupid newbie question:4G63 + TC-SST?

DR1665

This will probably come across as a random, stupid idea, but I like exploring random ideas.

I love my Galants. Love 'em.
I love driving a stick shift. It's the only real way to drive a performance vehicle.

That said, these jaggoff retards on the road with me during my 2 hours of commuter time each day are really taking the fun out of it. I've had plenty of time doing 5mph in a 65 zone, pretty much spending an hour at a time shifting back and forth between first and second, to think about maybe doing a W4A33 swap at some point. Call me lazy.

Then I got to thinking, I know the 4B11 is a completely new engine from the ground up, but having not seen one in person on a stand, I was curious if anyone knew how radically different the bolt pattern was between the two mills. Reason being, it might be interesting to find some poor, totalled out Lancer Ralliart with the SST trans and go that route. A trans adapter plate is a little easier to fab up than an engine.

Of course, the engine is oriented 180* from the 4G63, so the driveline is probably all out of whack too, but it was a random thought. It would be pretty slick to be running an 18 year old Galant with an 18 month old, dual clutch slushbox.

Then again, it might just be easier to move closer to the office, right?

Back in the box, I guess. Wanted to share. Hear your thoughts, if you had any.

Last edited:

Muskrat

Quote:

Of course, the engine is oriented 180* from the 4G63

Can't be done because of this.

5 Reverse Gears and 1 FWD. Along with nothing else lining up right (output shaft for t-case anyone?) and a whole other slew of issues.

Unless you want to try and swap the entire engine and drivetrain, but good luck. Probably a lot of fab work needed.

My suggestion? Buy a cheap automatic DD and save the Galant for the fun drives. Also has the side effect of keeping miles down.

Last edited:

You have better luck converting to an auto AWD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DR1665

Quoting Muskrat:
Quote:

Of course, the engine is oriented 180* from the 4G63

Can't be done because of this.

5 Reverse Gears and 1 FWD. Along with nothing else lining up right (output shaft for t-case anyone?) and a whole other slew of issues.

Unless you want to try and swap the entire engine and drivetrain, but good luck. Probably a lot of fab work needed.

My suggestion? Buy a cheap automatic DD and save the Galant for the fun drives. Also has the side effect of keeping miles down.

Thanks for the confirmation. Neither swap is likely to happen, but it's interesting to think about.

Guess I'll suck it up and deal. 464 is my daily driver. No room for another.

RedTwo

Quoting Dbossman:
You have better luck converting to an auto AWD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

For some reason they did indeed make SRPFs (auto vr4s) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Terry Posten

The SST is a 6 speed but whos counting.

Find a JDM VR4 auto tranny on fleabay. Change out the rear diff, shifter crap, add the TCU and your almost there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned