The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock fan cfm?

vr4199

Quick question :

How many cfm is the stock fan (not the ac fan)?

i bought an after market electric fan but its a 12 inch and only has 675 cfm

Any help would be appreciated

Barnes

This has been discussed before and the consensus seems to be that nothing outflows the stock fans. They are large, have excellent shrouds, and obviously move a ton of air. You really can't accomplish the same flow in a slim line. This hasn't been empirically tested (as far as I know), but seems to be a fairly solid conclusion.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I don't know the CFM rating on the factory fan but I bet its more than the fan you just bought.

Not all slim fans are equal and you didn't mention the brand. There are some permacool fans on summit.com and jegs.com that flow more than 2000cfm and I belive they are the one without the shroud.

On my gaylant I ran a 14" Spal fan (1700cfm) mounted on a civic radiator. Never had any problems. Coolant temperature never went over 206 (monitored with dsmlink).

During summer time you can try running more water in the coooling system. Something like 25/75 water/coolant and throw in a bottle of water wetter. Try using distilled water instead of tap water if possible.

Good luck.

vr4199

Thanks guys. i will defenitely look into that. i saw a nice 12 spal for 60 so i might get that one.

My FAL-115 that I'm putting in mine pulls a little over 1500cfm. Hoping I don't have any issues. Just do your research and you should be fine.

Dialcaliper

The stock fans are very good, and don't really need replacement unless you have clearance issues. The main key is that they have proper shrouds. Even the high quality aftermarket fans won't actually produce the kind of CFM numbers that they are rated for without fabricating a shroud to go with them.

Most caged "slim" fans without shrouds will underperform the stock ones.

Shrouds are kind of counterintuitive. The most effective setup is one that allows the fans to pull from all areas of the radiator and coincidentally blocks air from passing anywhere besides through the fan opening.

The factors that affect fan *cooling* performance, in order of effectiveness:

1) Proper ducting (A proper shroud both improves fan efficiency, and it increases the efficiency of your radiator by pulling air through a greater area)
2) Blade surface area (ie larger diameter and wider, deeper blades)
3) Power/Current draw (more powerful fans spin faster and move more air)
4) Fan efficiency (the gains here are very minimal as long as the fan is running the speed it was designed for, and the stock ones are decent)

Basically, to beat out the stock fans, you need a fan that is bigger with more blade area and a higher current draw and properly shrouded.

Last edited:

DailyDSM

Well I definitely like the stock fan as far as the shroud is concerned but with my turbo setup, I needed a slim fan. I went with a 14" Permacool that is around 2800-3200 CFM (pretty sure its 3000) and while idling for 30 minutes+ I never saw more than 180 degrees. Think the most I have ever seen reported in my DSMLink logs was 184 degrees. However, it is substantially louder than the stock fan. But then again, with BC 280s, my fan, and electric power steering setup, my engine bay is louder than my exhaust so noise is relative.

JNR

Lincoln MKVIII fan flows ~5,000 cfm, but requires 40A! Overkill for these cars, but if you need something that moves a lot of air, then it's an excellent choice and not much aftermarket out there that compares.

I have a Ford EV-1 (Ranger Electric Vehicle, late 90's) that probably flows about the same. I was going to use it on the Chevelle...

Point is, there is many oem offerings that work great and IMO aftermarket electric fans are overpriced and underperforming.

Oh yeah, a puller fan is much more effective than a pusher and the key is a good shroud! and of course a good radiator that is functioning properly. Increasing the cap (system)'s psi rating and you raise the boiling point, fwiw. So, basically, the fan is an important part of the system, but not the only component to focus on.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned