The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starting Paint On 619/1000

Lukefraizer

So tonight I finally decided that 619 is too ugly for how fast it is! So tonight I cracked open a couple beers and started getting her prepped! I'll post pictures as I go! If anyone has any tips hit me up! I think I spent about 3 or 4 hours sanding down the rear wing and roof and rear trunk tonight! I feel like I could be sanding forever! Learning to use bondo has been.... interesting to say the least!!!!

Diego

Where are you painting? Wanna shove mine in as well?

Nabeel

pics....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Lukefraizer

So the roof didnt turn out so hot so I just ended up putting some primer on her and than painting it up. I'm planning on getting a new roof soon anyways so I am not too worried! The worst thing thus far has been the clear bra and that is finally off thanks to some help from some buddies! Next weekends project is the hood!

GSX_TC

how about some progress pics man

QnzMostWanted

if the paint is oxidized, wet sand until its smooth and all the dead paint is gone and feather edge it if its with good paint, if ur sanding clear coat, u just wanna break the clear so that primer could stick, dont overwork urself, let the sandpaper do the cutting, wet sanding will help you out alot....if u have a sanding machine, just use some 220-320 and get a nice smooth finish, then primer

Eaglesfly

^^ Agreed! After prepping my wife's Accord, I've pretty much got the process down. I'm halfway through prepping my GVR4.

Lukefraizer

Well I did all the body work I could do and yes it took me forever but with all the other projects I have had going on I couldn't make the time to paint it before winter so I just ended up taking it in to get the spraying done! Didn't stick with the stock color but went with a gunmetal instead. Hopefully she will look amazing when I get back from vacation! I'll put some pictures up when I get her back!

trunks

I for one am excited to see it. I painted my car silver myself with a hvlp gun and I like the color. It just shows some 'tigger stripes' when the sun shines on it so I'll be taking it to get profesionally done this spring when I install the jdm bumpers.

You'll be happy you had a pro do it, I think.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Are those stripes all bouncy?

QnzMostWanted

once u know how to lay the paint on evenly, u shouldnt get "tigerstripes" if ur getting that, that means ur spray pattern is too tight

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting QnzMostWanted:
if the paint is oxidized, wet sand until its smooth and all the dead paint is gone and feather edge it if its with good paint, if ur sanding clear coat, u just wanna break the clear so that primer could stick, dont overwork urself, let the sandpaper do the cutting, wet sanding will help you out alot....if u have a sanding machine, just use some 220-320 and get a nice smooth finish, then primer

I completely disagree. If clear has started to peel from sun damage, the rest isn't far behind. You don't want new, good paint relying on the old paint to stick to the car. You may think you're saving yourself extra work, but you'll be wasting even more time if the new paint job has issues. With the right tools and supplies, it's not that much work.

rdomeck

Painting a car takes 90% prep. The right materials cost a lot of money. Labor intensive. These are just a few of the reason's for having someone who knows what they are doing show you how or having them do the work. I have been painting cars for 20 years and it takes time and patience along with good materials and knowing how those materials react in different applications. Mostly knowing what you can get by with given your ability's. Find someone who is willing to help that knows what they are doing. I budget $1500 just in paint materials for an all over paint job. I just did my VR4 and had $2000 in primer, sealer, base, and clear. It was completely taken apart and painted so it took a little bit more on materials! Finding a good automotive paint supply house should be first on your list. They should be able to point you in the right direction and maybe pass along a good budget shop in your area that they sell products too!

Lukefraizer

I have done a lot of body work on it myself and have a lot of "practice with it" so that is the part I did. The paint is the part that I don't know. Too much on that so I just got the paint shop to do the painting.

Lukefraizer

Finally finished her up! Looks pretty good as well.
img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned