The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Since i've never really posted about my car...here goes

Kenny_Kline

WHy did you put both balance shafts in a lathe??? You do understand that you only need to grind down the rear balance shaft right? Once the balance shaft belt is gone, that front balance shaft will never turn so cutting the weights off was a waste of time. Either install the bearing to block off oil hole or just put the front balance shaft back in to block oil hole. The rear balance shaft is your main focus and your not done grinding down that balance shaft either.

Scientist

Ok...here's the scenario....whether i did both or just one the cost was the same. I didn't do it myself, my friend's dad did it at their machine shop, he did the grinding and balancing. I placed back in both balance shafts. I went that route because it had a much quicker turn around, cost me significantly less than ordering+paying international frieght+brokerage+customs duties+vat+excise tax on something so small. The oil pump in the pictures was the old pump i removed from the engine and replaced with a brand new front case.

Thanks for the heads up though. As of tonight, the bottom end has already been assembled and the head, intake mani, valve cover, timing belt etc have already been placed on and torqued

Kenny_Kline

I also did my own balance shaft... actually a machine shop did them but anyways, the front shaft is useless. You really didnt ruin anything. Just wasted time taking it out, reinstalling, etc. Now that the balance shaft belt is gone, the front shaft will not turn weights or no weights. Just something to reference in case someone reads this and gets confused.

Scientist

dscn1092gt3mf8.jpg

dscn1091re8zn3.jpg

dscn1090kw4ai3.jpg

dscn1093fz1ew2.jpg

324vr4

Its coming together very nicely! Your race balance shafts look great and your color choice for your motor...nice work....keep it up!

fivestardsm

Are those mercedes rims? or are the the galant amg style?
Just curious..

Steve.

edit

]
img0852en6.jpg

Scientist

Quoting fivestardsm:
Are those mercedes rims? or are the the galant amg style?
Just curious..

Steve.

I forgot what brand, will check tommorow. But def not benz rims

Scientist

Sorry i haven't been keeping u guys up to date...Well things have changed drastically for this car

I have recieved a new 5spd trans with transfer case and drive shaft
Charcoal grey brake lines
Energy suspension red Engine mount inserts (Already installed)

The new parts list (Not yet arrived in dominica include)

Timing belt tensioner
Water pump
assorted drive shaft bolts

Forced Performance FP3065 DSM Turbo
FP3065R_01.jpg

44mm Wastegate dump tube
44mm%20dump.jpg

-4an stainless oil feed line
c95a_1.JPG

-4an inline oil filter with restrictor
-4 push lock fittings and tubing for water lines
12 NGK BPR7ES plugs

Remain to buy
Tial 44mm wastegate
4" Coupler for FP race intake
2.5" coupler to fit ETS front mount
Water lines....any one know what site fittings fit the turbo and what length I should use?
and a few other ends

Scientist

Well small updates...Still waiting on a bunch of parts, but decided to play the engine in the bay last night.

Was a bit stubborn with the Prothane mounts but it eventually fit snug. Started reconnecting the harness.

Does anyone have a JDM vacuum diagram?
I also need to source some injector clips and new clips for some of the sensors.

RedTwo

Do you mean for the cyclone system? There's a nifty diagram printed on the underside of my bonnet I could snap a pic of but there's also a good (english) diagram floating around here somewhere...

Scientist

As of this morning i have received:

FP3065 Turbo
FP 2.5" O2 housing
FP inline oil filter
Stainless oil feed line
4" Inlet Coupler
-6an braided lines (intended for water lines)
Wastegate dump tube
and a few other assorted nuts and bolts

Will post pictures later

Scientist

Now down to the details. Although the transmission is on and the shifter cables are connected, we are far from being done with the shifting system. See the problem we have is, My replacement cable is a 91-93 VR4 cable...my shifter base is the 88-90 and the Gearbox is a 1990. The 91-93 use different brackets, shifer base and a longer cable. The stiff engine Mounts also made it a bit more difficult to install the trans, As they REFUSED to flex. We eventually left the timing belt side mount only bolted and removed the front and rear ones. This gave us enough leverage to rock the engine a bit forward so the input shaft can slide all the way in.

By onlydominican

The next order of business was with the turbo Installation. We needed to see what sort of clearance the turbo allowed us. With the turbo Clocked downwards, there was NO clearance issues...but this would require re-engineering the intercooler piping. Clocking it upwards required a little caveman engineering ala....Tools required: Hammer. The easiest solution was Denting the water pipe in that position to give the turbo more clearance to clock it upward to connect to the Charge pipe. I now remain have to source a 2.5" Straight coupler and clamps, 4" clamp to finish off the Turbo and intercooler Install. I also have to cut off the 16G bolt on flange off the charge pipe which is 2.5" in diameter and give it a lip.

By onlydominican

By onlydominican

Hopefully the timing belt tensioner and drive shaft bolts arrive on Saturday so by Monday I should hear the engine start up for the first time in 2 years. The wastegate hasn't arrived as yet but I decided to get a Tial 44mm wastegate over the MV-S since tial informed me the flange sizes are different. This will be installed with an 8Psi spring...

By onlydominican

prove_it

Looking good! Is that an HID box I see in the first pic?

Scientist

I got the timing belt tensioner yesterday and have already installed it along with a new 180* thermostat. Would have tried to start the motor this weekend but I can't get trans oil locally...everywhere sells GL5 based oil. And according to a lot of trans builders GL5 reduces the life of the trans. So I'm waiting on an order I put in for some oil to come next thursday. Once that gets here i will be showing the start up video.

We also started plumbing the catch can, dealing unecessary Vaccum ports etc. got Rid of the PCV as I'm running a closed catch can system. We also had to get a little creative with the oil cooler install. to get it to clear the bumper and still be in a location that recieves Airflow. Here are a few pictures i've snapped with my blackberry

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned