The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

seat mount bolt broken!

boostingwild

the driver side inner seat stud broke off when i was taking the nut out. any ideas on what i should do to fix this? only a little bit is showing and the place it goes into is like a "cross member" that is welded on the inside of the cabin. i will go snap some pics now. but has anyone dealt with this before?

JNR

^^^Is it a 'solid' (thick) piece of steel though, or does it use an insert (threaded)? I don't know as I can't picture, but know some are.

Instead, you can get those 'bolt out' things from Sears for instance. Or, drill a small hole into the remaining stud, being careful not to get into the threaded portion (tap it first with an awl, so you don't walk the drill bit)...You either use that 'bolt out' (or EZ out they call them too) or I bet you can wedge something in there and then loosen...Would soak it with PB and/or heat the surrounding area.

Last edited:

boostingwild

cant drill it out and re tap it. its a stud that comes up from bottom. even if i got the broken piece out how the hell am i going to get stud back in. And you cant go from under the car, the studs are in a separate piece welded to the cab.

JNR

They are pressed in from below then? So, not really studs...

Well, they had to get in there somehow, unless it's like a PEM stud where it's pressed from top...

Rausch

Quote:
even if i got the broken piece out how the hell am i going to get stud back in.

Could you dril it out, re tap it, and thread a new stud in? hopefully the threads will hold? Like a head stud.

boostingwild

here are some pics

P7050817.jpg

P7050818.jpg

P7050819.jpg

JNR

2nd one is blurry...

How do you know it's captive from the backside?

You could *almost* put two thin jamnuts, tighten against one another and use the lower to loosen; that is how to remove studs or install (opposite)

If there was enough height, could drill a perpendicular hole and put something thru it to act as leverage, but that's easier said than done!

JNR

btw - wonder if there's enough thread to use a treaded hex coupler. Your hole would be too small on the seat though...the seat sits right on top of that "crossmember", right? Otherwise, if you made a nut that went down, sort of like those threaded wood nuts...

jepherz

Staff member
Seriously? You can SEE from his picture that it's captive. It's possible, but I'm doubting you can access it through a hold in the bottom of the car. These same studs are a lot of places on our cars, like the front subframe mounts.

Do you have access to a welder? The only permanent, complete solution I can see is to cut a square out around that stud, and weld in a new one with a bolt welded through that has the same thread pitch and length as the other studs. Crappy, I know...

JNR

You talking about the square thing attached to the member? That is a weld nut, isn't it? Pics are hard to see tho...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The seat mount studs are weld studs, welded to the crossmember before it is welded to the floorpan. He's not getting it "out" short of cutting. There is nothing to rethread. Gonna have to cut and weld something in as a replacement, either another stud or a nut to use a bolt like the rear mounts.

fivestardsm

What is trying to be said, is you need to cut along the dotted line,(i.e. drill the spot-welds out on the flange, and cut the chanel across).

Once you remove the area, you will expose the bottom which will be a thick plate of steel that has the stud on it. This is what will need to be repaired.

After the piece was cut out, I would drill through the center of the stud, and replace a bolt in the studs location. Then you would weld the head of the bolt to the existing plate on the underside.

Re-assemble, and paint the area with some POR-15.

boostingwild

thanks guys. i was afraid of going that route. now im sad, i guess i will have to wait longer till i can get this car closer on the road.
you guys dont think it will hold tight with only three point attached ? oh and by the way im not fat

mooserage

Staff member
Doesn't matter, a child could bend the seat up with only three studs if you had enough force. I personally wouldn't risk it, you could weld the seat in though, permanent install /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

strokin4dr

You CAN access that bolt from under the car. I would jack it up and at least go at it with a drill and an easy-out before cutting that piece out.

broke down

jepherz is correct. The stud CANNOT be accessed from under the car. I just went out and looked at mine, which is on a rotisserie right now. There is no access from there. You would have to cut a hole in the bottom of the floorpan, and through the driveshaft/exhaust shield that is also welded in place, then weld those back closed. The easiest and safest repair is to do what jepherz said. Unless your chassis is different from mine...

fivestardsm

People!!
This is not a bolt, It is a stud. 1387 has the exact same stud broken. It is the one that would be at your right heel.

I have repaired these the exact way I mentioned above!!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned