The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Saved 1663/2000

VR4Scott

Got the head, a shortblock, and all the associated gaskets and parts yesterday. Got it assembled last night.

G

Staff member
I've seen that happen before. The brake fluid reservoir cap was not installed correctly and brake fluid sprayed all over the top of the firewall. Then it wasn't cleaned properly so it dissolved the paint. I would remove all the stuff on the firewall reservoir, grounds and horn. Then just prep, prime and rattle can it so it doesn't rust.

prove_it

Yep, otherwise that super clean engine will look so out of place. Nice find.

VR4Scott

Quoting G:
I've seen that happen before. The brake fluid reservoir cap was not installed correctly and brake fluid sprayed all over the top of the firewall. Then it wasn't cleaned properly so it dissolved the paint. I would remove all the stuff on the firewall reservoir, grounds and horn. Then just prep, prime and rattle can it so it doesn't rust.

You hit it right on the head. I'm going to remove all of that stuff and Napa down here sells auto paint by color code in aerosol cans. I'll just repaint that whole top strip of firewall between the seam sealed line up to the fold.

VR4Scott

Waiting on a few more pieces to show up, then drop it all in the car together complete. Reman compressor and alternator incoming.

VR4Scott

Got the motor back, haven't had the time or want to paint anything else in the bay.

Decided to sand and paint the door and window trims.

I heated up the front bumper, popped the dent out, and softened the crease that had formed in it. Looks way better.

Here's a few undercarriage photos as promised. I doubt I'll do it, but this could easily be pressure washed, wire wheel a few areas, then apply new undercoat under the car and in the wheel wells to keep it looking fresh for years to come.

Here she is cleaned up.

Got new tires on it and the alignment done. The 4WS still works. The car drives amazing and is surprisingly stable at high speeds. I was on the highway and got her up around 100MPH. I forgot how slow these cars are all stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif haha

Time to sell and look for a new project.

VR4Scott

Yeah, going to sell it now. I was hoping to have less invested in it so I could keep 2 of them. But that is not what wound up happening.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned