The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Roll cage

Brianawd

Quote:
I don't see how they can make any money charging $260 for a custom, already notched ready to weld in cage that they have not done so they would have to find a car to get everything right and a high quality tight cage as a final result.

Well just going off there web site. As for them bending one up. I don't think it would take them that long to bend one up. That is what they do all day long. If they need a car that should not be that hard because they are up in seattle so any one in the NW should be able to take there car in for them to make the templet. If I have to I will take my car up.

Boostin21

digit-- where do you certify a cage. mine was done a while back but never saw road time. it has inspection holes in it. will this be done at a track?

grocery_getter

I talked to the Art Morrsion people. at least 4 years ago about this. They will supply you with the main hoop and straight length tubing for the rest. The fishmouthing is not done. Fishmouthing will have to be done by the installer at install time. This was true at the time. Maybe they change it now, in any way a call to them would be good.

Quoting Brianawd:
Quote:
I don't see how they can make any money charging $260 for a custom, already notched ready to weld in cage that they have not done so they would have to find a car to get everything right and a high quality tight cage as a final result.

Well just going off there web site. As for them bending one up. I don't think it would take them that long to bend one up. That is what they do all day long. If they need a car that should not be that hard because they are up in seattle so any one in the NW should be able to take there car in for them to make the templet. If I have to I will take my car up.

Quoting Boostin21:
digit-- where do you certify a cage. mine was done a while back but never saw road time. it has inspection holes in it. will this be done at a track?

Contact David Luken, he is the closest NHRA tech inspector to you. He is in Illinois, Southern Wisconsin. You can reach him at (309) 523-3870 from 9am till noon or email him at [email protected] If he doesn't do it anymore or you can't reach him you can contact Ritch Bowers at the NHRA Northern Central Devision office (765) 689-8377 and he will be able to help you.

Boostin21

good stuff! thank you very much!

Quoting Gordian79:
Harness in a car without at least a 6 pt roll is bad news.Harness bars will cause more injuries then prevent.espcially for your rear passengers.those bolt in cages will probably not be legal to race in any type of motorsports.

+1, I would never put a roll cage in any car I planed on driving on the street. All it takes is one accident or something stupid to bump you hard enough to smack your head into the bar and that’s bad news, as I assume you’re not going to be wearing a helmet every time you go drive the car.

Quote:
+1, I would never put a roll cage in any car I planed on driving on the street. All it takes is one accident or something stupid to bump you hard enough to smack your head into the bar and that’s bad news, as I assume you’re not going to be wearing a helmet every time you go drive the car.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I don't think you'll ever have that problem.

Flip4G63

if you dont know what you need to know about cages mabey you really dont need one..

if you are at that point in your car where you HAVE TO by law have a cage to race at a event then you would know more about what you need and how to go about getting it.

i know i might be coming off rude here but for real having a cage in yoru car is not cool nor a pimp factor. its saftey and keeping you alive when the bad happens.

to add to this IHRA and NHRA rules say NO BOLT [together] CAGES OR ROLL BARS car.

here are the NHRA rules.. read then and deside if a cage is right for you.
click

or if you just want the i have a cage factor to be cool on the streets. get you some PVC and wrap it in foam and make it look like you have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif j/k

Since our cars are unibody we have to use 6"x6" steel plates @ every point. Whether you connect the strut bars to the shock towers or floor pan..

click

Last edited by a moderator:

Flip4G63

Quoting number3:
Flip4G63 said: you will have to have plates welded under and on top to WELD the cage in for it to be legal at a IHRA or NHRA track.

number3 said: This is NOT what the NHRA rule book says. I quoted in bold from the NHRA rule earlier in this thread. If they changed this rule since then please link it here to update the rule I highlighted. Thank you.

your quote was correct.. although we are uni body cars.. there for bolting to the "frame" rails do not make us frame cars..

this kit they sell for DSM's (galants) would fall in this too. (not saying this will fit) just body style. include the 6" x 6" x 1/8" mounting plates. to make this kit IHRA and NHRA legal

click

you can also see that JMF also uses the 6" x 6" plates in ALL of there cars in this link to include a DSM
click

you can bolt it on all day long but this will not make you legal if you are running time fast enough to have a cert number on your cage. if your running 12's and have a "bolt" in cage your good because in all reality you dont "need" a cage. use the plates as rules say and then bolt the plates together. welding the cage to the plates.

EDIT: i just relized that i put weld plates in. on the post you quoted.. i would like to clear up that the plates them self do not need to be welded to the body. only the cage needs to be welded to a 6" x 6" plate on top. the plates can be bolted together
or welded in welding being the best way..

[Thank you for correcting yourself. I deleted the incorrect part to min. confusion.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned