The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rewiring the Fuel Pump

PlatypusOfFury

Just got a Forced Performance rewire kit and pre-planning the install of it. and yeah, it'll be my first install of one so less confident than most.

While reading the installation instructions which are helpful for Under the Hood section, I'm a tad confused on what to do for the back end of the install to the sending unit.

since it's being rewired, what happens to the old wire that was used? it's not just a hot wire hanging out right?
Could I also cut old power wire from sending unit plug and splice new power wire to that? rather than installing to top plate of sending unit?

if I got this all wrong, Let me know so I don't F*$k my stuff up

Thanks,
Platypus

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The original supply wire (vehicle side) needs to become the trigger for the relay. The new power supply wire (from wherever you source it) will need to be connected to the fuel pump.

PlatypusOfFury

yeah, that's the weird part I'm trying to deduce. VFaq has the homebuilt relay in the trunk, while the FP version has relay under the hood and connected to the pump check connector. does the check connector trigger the relay?

jnava

Staff member
I would assume that the relay is the same as what we've used from the parts store. I personally installed mine in the back without a failure. You could probably use their configuration if you like. I see no problem with installing it in the back if you feel more comfortable.

EDIT: I just looked at it...It is supposed to be used with your fuse box. My question is did you specify your car, I think a 1g is a bit shorter in length and the power wire might not be long enough. Double check the length.

Last edited:

PlatypusOfFury

Length for the power is just enough to get to pump. So in theory, it'll fit. Just concerned on what to do with the old power wire once set up.

jnava

Staff member
In my circumstance, the power wire on the plug is no longer used, since it triggers the relay, the power runs all the way into the pump. I did not use the stock connector on the fuel pump assembly. I used the plug that FP sent me with the walbro 255

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned