The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

*** RESOLVED***Strange noise from below.***RESOLVED***

prove_it

That's a good one. What kinda clutch do you have? Also does it change when you push in the clutch pedal?

MellowVR4

sounds like something is loose, like the throw out bearing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Captn

ACT 2100, I was thinking something to do with the clutch. I will check to see if it stops when clutch is in.

I will do some investigation. Gotta have some better weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif rainy and cold today and snow tomorrow I hear.

Last edited:

prove_it

Also while checking on the clutch, hold the clutch in and put in gear and neutral. See if the noise changes between in gear and neutral. I had a trans mainshaft bearing go and it made a similar noise.

460GVR4

my flywheel came loose once since I didn't apply any thread lock. My flywheel moved hundredths of an inch on crank and made a horrible noise similar to a rod knock. Just an idea. GL

Captn

Yeah I will be sure to check that all.

I personally didn't install the clutch or flywheel.

Thanks for the help everyone, I just hope it's not my engine.... Spent a lot of money on it and the build isn't done yet, would suck if something happened to it.

Also its my only car!

Captn

So I had my wife push the clutch in while I listened...

It went away! Does this mean is the throw out bearing?

I have some loud belts though not sure which one it is...

Barnes

My transmission did the same thing when the transmission's outer intermediate shaft bearings were going bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thankfully it's a relatively easy thing to check.

prove_it

Quoting Captn:
So I had my wife push the clutch in while I listened...

It went away! Does this mean is the throw out bearing?

I have some loud belts though not sure which one it is...

Throw out bearing or the mainshaft bearings are bad. Check your trans fluid. Mine did that for a while. Ended up being the mainshaft bearings. NON oem throwout bearings will fail and be noisy.

Captn

So if my throw-out bearing is fine it is most likely the main-shaft bearing?

How would I check/replace that if possible?

I'll check fluids too.

Barnes

Checking the intermediate shaft is pretty easy. You simply pull the end cover off the transmission. You can then grab the 5th gear on the end of the intermediate shaft (between the input shaft 5th, and the vicous coupler) and see if it moves. This shaft should have no play. When mine was going bad, it moved probably 1/8th to 3/16th of an inch laterally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You can check the input shaft the same way to see if it is the culprit.

prove_it

Does your shifter move when you get on the gas and let off? If it does then it's the trans. The two nuts on the end of the shafts under the rear cover tend to loosen up. Causes the bearing to fail. Which in one of my trannys caused the sandwich plate to get damaged by the gears.

Look it up under vfaq and drivetrain then shifter movement fix.

Barnes

I'm 99% sure those nuts only hold the 5th gears on. The nuts on my 5th gears were tight when I discovered my failing intermediate shaft bearing. Since my input shaft bearings were not failing, and the nut was tight on the input shaft, I had no shifter movement.

CORRECTION: The nut on the input shaft holds 5th gear and the 5th/reverse hub slider. The 5th gear/reverse shift rail is consequently connected to the hub/slider. Thus if the input shaft nut is loose, you get movement.

Last edited:

Barnes

Which shaft? Which direction? How much play?

Captn

I just drove it around the block its pouring rain here right now.

I meant the shifter has play not the shafts sorry for the confusion.

prove_it

Your not checking for play in the shifter.

When you drive with your hand not on the shifter and put a load on it then let off, your watching to see if the shifter moves by itself. This tells you if the gears and shafts are moving, which tells you something is loose or there is excessive clearance in the shafts which can generate the noise your hearing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned