The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Strange clanking/knocking noise

Recently replaced transmissions and after doing so i have developed this strange clanking/knocking noise that seems to be coming from the motor...but just doesn't make any sense. I pulled the motor to do a balance shaft eliminate, replaced timing belt/pulleys/etc. Then decided to swap trannys while i was at it. When i get everything put back into car i get this strange clanking noise. I haven't been driving the car do to this issue. You don't even have to have the motor running to hear the noise, if you bump the starter you can hear it. Also something strange, if you take all the spark plugs out the sound goes away....but put just one back in and it doesn't matter which cylinder...the sound is back....Have good oil pressure, rod bearings are new (replaced those after developing the sound...didn't help)....any suggestions? I was starting to lean towards maybe a flywheel issue?

GVR4_1057

Do you have new flywheel studs in there? Sometimes they hit the bell housing.

SouthCaliVR4

You start with "after the trans was done" & then go on to state you have had the whole engine/trans out & the engine apart.

Well, it's something you had apart. you need to go back & start rechecking everything till you find it. use a stethoscope to narrow down your search area. could be trans, could be a motor issue, could be clutch. could be a simple as a a/c hard line not positioned correctly & now rattling against the fire wall or fender well. There is very little we can do to help you narrow it down.

Quoting Whoodoo:
Clutch chatter perhaps? Does it go away when you depress the clutch?

Noise stays when clutch is depressed.

Quoting GVR4_1057:
Do you have new flywheel studs in there? Sometimes they hit the bell housing.

Flywheel studs have not been tampered with.

What gets me is that when you take the spark plugs out relieving strain on the motor the sound goes away...
That and the fact that it happens as soon as you crank the motor before it's even running (and continues once motor is started)

Yao

tranny mount?

Tore into it over the weekend....all the flywheel bolts were loose. Don't know how it happened but it did. I had them torqued to spec with locktite too...strange

Yes i used red locktite...I'm not familiar with safety wire? What is this you speak of

toybreaker

iconoclast
Saftey wire is used in aviation and on many race cars in critical applications.

A stainless wire is threaded thru holes in the bolt head of one bolt, twisted together and then run over and thru another bolt head, and then the excess is twisted together and bent back on itself. This prevents the bolts from backing out as the wire will prevent rotation.

Is this a factory flywheel?

"Some" of the aftermarket flyweels are thinner than the the o.e. unit and when the bolts bottom out in the crank it feels like you've gotten full torque before the the flywheel is tight.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Safety Wire
spinner5-w.jpg

Specter

Quoting Whoodoo:
Clutch chatter perhaps? Does it go away when you depress the clutch?

What would it mean if it goes way when clutch is depressed?

Whoodoo

If the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed, then it narrows your search down to one general location. It will be related to the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate because when you push in the clutch, it unloads the clutch disc.

Do a google search on clutch chatter for a little bit of education.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned