The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trans issue....

jesus_ralliart

So, ive had slight issues with the trans and im now starting to think they are getting worse. When I got the car, the main issue was that it grinded third a little sometimes when you'd shift from 2nd to 3rd. Not the end of the world...

Then the car sat for a little and I'd occasionaly fire her up.... at which pt i developed the TOB noise when the car is on and the clutch is pressed down... whether I saw in gear and moving or simply standing still and in neutral. I was told its simply a bearing u replace when you do your clutch... ok no biggie. Also at about this time I developed 5th gear pop-out...yuck.

Yesterday before going to evo v sti day, I tried to get the car into reverse... no dice, at all. However, the day before it was going into reverse like butter. Also, on the highway I also noticed that the car would grind going into 5th !

So, as it sits today: Grinds 3rd, 5th... but doesnt grind 3rd always and not when I go from 4th to 3rd. No reverse, TOB noise, and 5th pop out.

Question is: Should I just get some cash together and get it all redone at DogBox Racing or can I possibly remedy at least the no reverse issue on my own. TOB i know u have to take the trans out, 3rd and 5th grind im guessing thats a syncro issue(also trans out) but maybe I can do something about pop out and no reverse?

I'd love it if someone could give me a step by step run down of what to do.

broxma

You are in a bit of a pickle honestly because it can be a costly mistake once you start down the path.
First step would be check the clutch fork, endplay and the slave cylinder. You may have to adjust the clutch shaft on the pedal to achieve more pressure in the master.
If the TOB is clearly bad, it makes no sense to replace just the bearing if the clutch is at all suspect. This is where the costly mistake can occur. If you replace the clutch and TOB and everything is fine, no further action required. If you do replace it all and there is no improvement, then it's a tranny issue. Problem is, you have to remove the tranny and replace the clutch, then re-install the tranny to find out. This is a lot of time and at least the cost of a new clutch just in case.

Best bet, cover all your bases.
Second best, check for the simple solutions first, and work back with the understanding that it may end up costing the full monty.

/brox

newpoppop

check for loose shift cables, make sure everything is tight. shifter alignment?

I would check all of the following:

Clutch pedal assembly
Make sure rod from pedal to master cylinder is adjusted properly
(I once had one that was improperly adjusted and when the pedal was pushed all the way to the floor it sounded like a bad TOB, apparently the pedal rod was adjusted too far and overextending something. Backed the rod out a bit and the noise stopped while the clutch still disengaged fully.)
Check master cylinder for leaks
Does rubber clutch hose swell when pedal is pushed in?
Leaks at slave cylinder (be sure to pull the boot back)
Thoroughly bleed clutch hydraulics
Bushings where cables attach to shift arms on transmission, are they worn?
Any extra slop in the cables?
Cable bracket bolted to trans case, are the bolts tight?
Adjust cables at the console/shifter
Drain trans fluid, any metal in it?
While oil is out, pop off the end case and properly tighten the two big nuts inside the trans
Refill with good trans oil

You may have internal problems, but doing this stuff first will rule them all out as possible causes. You don't want to pull the trans or pay for another only to find out it was some ancillary issue that is a cheap/easy fix like hydraulics or shift cable problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned