The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reputable engine builders in Texas

ducttapeguy

Hey all. I am looking to get my engine rebuilt in the very near future. I want to send it somewhere since I dont have the know how or the time to experiment right now. Does anyone know of a reputable engine builder within 3-4 hours of Killeen, Tx? And for a reference Killeen is about an hour north of Austin. I know Dallas is about 2-2.5 hours away and San Antonio is almost exactly 2.5 hours away. I would like to get my VR4 finished in time for the FP event in the Dallas/Ft Worth area on May 12 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Also, can yall give me a ballpark price to expect for a build? I have pistons and rods already, but I will need machine work done since my pistons are 10 over. I want to get my head done up a bit too. I have cams and cam gears but I will need to upgrade my valvetrain. I plan on getting those parts prior to dropping everything off for the work. Let me know what yall come up with please. Thanks.

Tyler

DynastyLCD

ship it all to Harwinton, CT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

seriously though, i've got some very good machinists locally. if you wanted to ship me everything for your bottom end, except the block, i'll donate a block to be bored out, and do all your assembly. you get the GI discount... no charge to you brother. just cover the parts!

you may be asking, "why?" simple. support the troops - add to the Legacy of Excellence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

jnava

Staff member
I haven't had much experience but maybe contact mike gsxtc, he is having some serious work done on his car. He may have some insight.

GSX_TC

Call Frank at (832) 818-4481 and tell him Mike Valencia sent you his way, he is is kileen TX and will take care of you. Another great option is Mike at FIST racing which is here in Houston TX, people from out of state even bring their cars to him, his number is (281) 444-5900 Mike Collins is his name.

boostedinaz

Didn't the motor that Fist fisted you with, just blow up recently?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GSX_TC

WTF?? My motor didn't f***ing blow up! Lol I just spun a bearing man.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Because of oil starvation for an extended period of time.

GSX_TC

A bolt getting into the front case area, cracking the case and taking out the seal, and timing belt.

turbowop

Did said bolt drop out the bottom of the timing cover when it was pulled to see wtf happened?

Based on what you said happened in your build thread, I don't think that's what caused your issue. There is no way that a leaking front main seal will cause oil starvation, unless you lost so much oil that it was below the pickup. But it doesn't sound to me like you ever lost that much oil while driving the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

old4door

+1 for Mike over at FIST. I won't take my motor anywhere else for assembly.

Mike GSX TC- I thought your motor was built by someone else, not FIST?

GSX_TC

Yep FIST built me that motor like 11 years ago before I joined the marines. Another thing I didn't know is that crank was already turned once, and they say you get one good turn out of a virgin crank, so I'm gonna be using the crank from my old motor.

boostedinaz

And you're recommending them.......? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GSX_TC

Yes, because they are the best.

Ok just to clear things up here because there is alot of small details left out, yes FIST built the motor years ago but when it came time to install it, fist was in the process of moving shops and couldn't accept the work, so I had no choice to take it to a friend and do the work on the side. The friend was the one who finished up the motor and installed it, then one morning i drove the car to work and noticed a shaking coming from the motor and pulled over and didnt see anything, then it got worse, so i babied it to work then noticed oil had been leaking the whole time and was empty,so this is not on FIST it's my own fault for taking it to a friend and for such a big build. I should of taken it to FIST to finish it up.

The motor is in good hands again, and things will be done right this time around.

Last edited:

turbowop

Still sounds fishy to me. If you drove the car while it was hemorrhaging oil, then it's on you. But it sounds like you're blaming your friend that you say you shouldn't have taken the car to? So what exactly happened? The info is spread over like three threads and its hard to follow which story you're actually using.

ktmrider

^^ This. From the vague and strung-out details I would fear FIST, your friend, and frankly you for anything engine related.

Spun bearings, overturned cranks, leaking seals, "finished assembling", etc. Setting the whole story straight A-Z would really help FIST out.

GSX_TC

well fine then dont take my advice or listen to what i have to say then sh*t. when that motor comes back and makes power all this wont even matter anymore.

blacksheep

I would contact FP. People like Scott Evans may have a good recommendation of a place. Also, maybe ask BluFalcon here. He may know people around Texas. Hope this helps!

boostedinaz

Quoting GSX_TC:
well fine then dont take my advice or listen to what i have to say then sh*t.

Done and done.

Quoting GSX_TC:
when that motor comes back and makes power all this wont even matter anymore.

Incorrect. It shows how some people give convoluted information that can make it hard for the OP to make a good decision. Those same people will recommend a place/company simply because they like a person not necessarily because that person does good work. Turning a crank an not telling you is shady and simply unacceptable, IMO. Even if your car makes 11 billion HP I would always worry that FIST left something like that unsaid and the longevity of your motor may suffer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned