The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reputable engine builders in Texas

Ok, I really didn't want to get in on this, but my name is being dragged through the mud on a bunch of misinformation and half told stories. First off, I would like to let the admins know I am not here to advertise, I am only here because of what is being said about me in this thread.

As far as my reputation goes, I'm not going to bother spelling it out, feel free to search FIST Racing and look us up for yourselves, I pride myself on our reputation, and have been in business a very long time. I'm not saying we've never made a mistake, but when we have, we owned it, and took care of the customer, because that is what is the most important thing to me. I feel that's one of the reasons we have been in business for so long. We sponsor the local Houston forum and have for some time, htown-dsm.com so there is a lot of info about us on there, but feel free to google us, if nothing more than so you know what kind of people we are. I wouldn't have been in business for this long if I were shady or did bad work, the DSM community would have eaten me alive by now as they always do with bad shops.

This is a case of I tried to be nice and help this guy out, and it bit me in the tail. Gsx_tc is a very nice guy,his knowledge is lacking on the mechanics side of things, so I think he is just having a hard time telling the story.

There is a lot to this story that just doesn't need to be put out on the internet as it might hurt someone's feelings, but here is the abridged version:
gsx_tc took more than 5 years to pay for this engine, and then it sat at the shop while he went off to the Marines, All that was paid for was a shortblock, and a head. When I finally made him pick it up, he picked up a short block with a head bolted to it. The rest needed to be completed. Yes I was moving shops, but at that point I was frustrated with the whole situation and wasn't about to go through the whole ordeal again. That engine was picked up by a group of back yard mechanics that are known for very bad work and ripping people off. gsx_tc had already been screwed over by them a couple of times, and they screwed him over again during this entire ordeal. Ask him how they scammed him out of his turbo and sold him an ebay 35r telling him it was real. I really don't understand how he still calls them friends. These guys picked up the motor, put everything else together and installed it. Once they installed it they couldn't get any of his cross members to fit and told him it was fine to drive around like that because he didn't rally race.

The crank wasn't turned, it was polished, gsx_tc just doesn't know the difference, I guess he thought it was the same thing. He completely either misunderstood what I told him, or just didn't listen to me all the way. After that engine left the shop, I have never seen it again. I only know what gsx_tc and other have told me. I got a phone call from gsx_tc and he told me that tons of oil was coming out the front case. He didn't know where it was coming from. Again, I don't know either, I haven't seen it. I told him I needed more information to tech help him over the phone. He had driven it like that to somewhere he could store it. A few weeks later, him and a group of friends went to check it out again. They started it, and oil just poured out. He wasn't really sure where it was coming from, it looked like maybe it was the front seal area, and the timing belt was torn up. At that point he wanted to bring it to me and have it finished by an event date, I was backed up and couldn't take it in. He brought it to a different friends house who replaced the front main seal, noticed that the timing plate was all bent up and folded over and that looked like it had caused the belt to get torn up. He told me that it looked like a bolt had gotten dropped in there or something because everything was beat up. He replaced it all and started it, shortly after that oil started coming out again. He pulled the pan to find bearing damage. To this date I have not seen that engine since all this has happened, so I am having to rely on what other have told me. What I do know is this, something happened that tore everything up on the timing belt side, and gsx_tc drove the car while it was pouring oil out as he was trying to get back to somewhere to leave the car, he drove it to a point where there was little to no oil left. Damage occurred. At this point that is all I know, and while I do feel for him, in this case I do not feel responsible for what happened. If I did, I would be helping him out on it, without hesitation.

Mike(gsx_tc) I apologize if this came across harsh, but I've let you stumble through writing these threads ever since this happened, and while most people in Houston know the whole story, this is getting national and I will not let a partial half told story tarnish my reputation.

Mike at F.I.S.T. Racing

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

No problem, thanks Mike.

ktmrider

Quoting BlackMajik:
Mike(gsx_tc) I apologize if this came across harsh, but I've let you stumble through writing these threads ever since this happened, and while most people in Houston know the whole story, this is getting national and I will not let a partial half told story tarnish my reputation.

Mike at F.I.S.T. Racing

This is EXACTLY why I wanted him to explain the WHOLE situation. He decided to respond in a less than mature fashion instead.

turbowop

Quoting BlackMajik:

Mike at F.I.S.T. Racing

Thanks for setting the story straight. This makes waaaaaay more sense now. Although I'm still curious as to what actually happened to his motor, I know it has nothing to do with FIST now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

desant78

That post was needed. Being from the east coast, ive never heard of FIST but based on all of gsx-tcs post i would never bring anything there due to how un certain the operation seemed. That post definetly cleared things up and saves.tyler a phone call from me questioning his logic if he is chooses FIST. Im sure no.harm was meant, but still everything seemed sketchy.

ducttapeguy

Well this turned into an interesting thread rather quickly. Mike, Im sorry to hear about all your engine trouble. Ive had issues with "knowledgable" garage mecahnics before too. I ended up getting screwed out of a motor, had some half ass fab work done, and got my car back a year and a half later partially disassembled. It sucks. At the very least this thread managed to clear up what seemed to be a large issue with a shop and managed to set the record straight.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I have decided to take Phil up on his offer, but he is going to get hooked up too so dont think Im taking advantage of his kindness. Shipping him the parts and having him assemble everything is going to be a massive time saver for me and allow me to get extra little stuff done on the G. Plus it will be pretty cool to have my motor built by another board member and fellow VR4 enthusiast. I also happen to know that Phil is one hell of a guy and a damn fine mechanic. I couldnt have been happier with the work he did on my Galant last summer during my trek across the country to Ft Hood.

I hope this thread didnt create any hardship or bad blood for the members that posted. But anyway, thanks again guys

Tyler

boostedinaz

Quoting BlackMajik:

Mike at F.I.S.T. Racing

This story makes WAY more sense that what Mike was blabbing about.

I apologize for any shots taken at you or your company.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned