The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacement VR4 inside with pics

cheekychimp

After the daily driver VR4 got 'totalled' just before Xmas, Ken (my mechanic) hooked me up with a replacement that ironically he picked up around the time I bought mine. He'd already sorted out most of the issues with it and we came to an arrangement over the crashed car. Basically he transferred everything off that car onto this one, did some other work that I wanted done and then took the crashed car off my hands. It isn't quite finished yet but it is daily driven already! I got the amber corners and Kenny's 93 headlights fitted the other day and it was nice out this afternoon so I snapped a few pics.

There are no major plans for this car, just a nice clean small 16G setup with some ceramic coating and extrude honing here and there and possibly an AMG Cyclone Intake. The car already has Evo Pistons and a lightened flywheel and I picked up a Centre Force Dual Friction clutch for it BNIB for $300 off eBay. Eventually it will also get black powder coated EVO 8 Enkeis, a 3.909 ratio transmission with some LSDs and a Baer brake setup. Oh yeah I also have a nice rear window visor for it!

Cosmetically it needs a respray on the rear bumper!

When it goes in to get that done I'd also like to get the pin striping done in black and get my GTS 32 rear wing sprayed and fitted.

That's it really folks nothing too exciting right now. I'm waiting for the insurance money to come in on it and then I can tidy it up a little more.

Paul

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Cool, now do me a favor and send it my way so I can DD it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brisvr4

Looks nice and tidy Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

How do the 93 headlights work for the RHD mate?

cheekychimp

LOL I don't think anyone over here gives a sh*t, I've never seen them actually check the lights properly during a routine annual inspection. I'm sure they wouldn't get past the Government Examiners without proper adjustment. They are adjustable but whether there is sufficient adjustment to make them true RHD compatible I'm not really sure.

Bottom line is that there are relatively few undivided two way traffic roads in Hong Kong where they have the potential to cause problems for drivers in oncoming cars and there are no roads where it is dark enough to need high beams. We pick up people in the middle of the night regularly with no lights on at all. None of them are ever aware they haven't got their lights on because the roads are so brightly lit.

I should really see if Ken has a test wall somewhere I can use though. He did mention adjusting them but I never saw him do it when he was redoing the wiring and I was there the whole time that afternoon . You do have a point mate, it would be a bit hypocritical to just ignore it under the circumstances.

Last edited:

FML that is a hot car, are those AMG Type II wheels? Isn't that Hong Kong? I thought you had bought a house in the U.K. a while back?

Last edited by a moderator:

brisvr4

Let me know how you go trying to adjust them Paul. I've always wanted a set but have hesitated due to the spread of light issue.
Then again mine doesn't see a whole lot of night driving now days.

cheekychimp

Quoting Red_Bird:
FML that is a hot car, are those AMG Type II wheels? Isn't that Hong Kong? I thought you had bought a house in the U.K. a while back?

Yeah they are AMG Rims, picked them up for peanuts off Yahoo Japan ... they arrived in the original boxes, I probably should never have mounted tyres to them but they look too good.

I did buy a house in the UK. It is mainly an investment but was also to help a friend of mine, he is going through a divorce but wanted to keep his house. I bought his ex-wife out and we are going to renovate/redecorate and flip it at a later date.

Thanks for the comments guys, I wasn't sure of the colour at first but it is growing on me.

Last edited:

Dude. That thing is freaking badass. Very clean. Only thing that bugs me is the gas door, some kind of carbon fiber sticker on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Other than that, beautiful galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Looks like you have a good test wall for the lights right there in that parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you explain all that. I love that color, it looks like kg and bg mixed together.

cheekychimp

Steve,

It's okay man, we are both really happy how everything worked out and it gives me a place to store the GTI in the UK now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The colour IS different. Sometimes when I park it in the underground parking lots it looks almost blue under the lighting. The colour also seems to work really well with black accents so I really want to do the chrome strip trim black, the fender lights black and maybe even put the emblems at the rear back to stock and paint those black as well.

The gas door sticker does have to go doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I did try honest but it was stuck on there real good. I will do it before it goes for paint just incase I scratch anything in the process or find that the sticker was put there to hide something underneath it. And that would make a good test wall but it never seems to be free at night. By the time it gets dark enough to see the lights properly my neighbor is always parked there.

As for suspension, the plan definitely was to put the EVO struts on this car because the JIC stuff that came on it was far too stiff for a daily. But I got these struts off Ken as a stop gap (the JIC stuff really was harsh) and they are actually really good. If anyone is looking for alternative suspension to modify that works these are Cusco coilovers for a Subaru Legacy GT. They are long travel and consequently much softer than most coilovers but they still reduce body roll whilst cornering quite a lot. I actually like them a lot but the EVO stuff is definitely coming over. I'll see what I like best and whatever is left over will get kept as spares. The last month has taught me that good VR4 specific struts are really hard to find over here now that these cars are no longer popular.

Again thanks for the nice comments guys, I thought this car was going to be a bit too Plain Jane for you lot.

Last edited:

Rausch

Not too shabby sir. Not too shabby at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

You're gonna paint that car? Whats wrong with the current paint? Just take a hair dryer and heat up the sticker and peel it off.

VR4ownzU

I remember seeing those wheels on ebay cheap. I would keep those things on! They look awesome. EVO 8 wheels on our cars look bleh.

curtis

Quoting cheekychimp:
I picked up a Centre Force Dual Friction clutch for it BNIB for $300 off eBay.

Crap I though I won a free pp and disk Oh well I'll put it in the crate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

By the way there was no throw out bearing in the box just the PP and disk.

cheekychimp

Quoting VR4ownzU:
I remember seeing those wheels on ebay cheap. I would keep those things on! They look awesome. EVO 8 wheels on our cars look bleh.

Yeah I like the way they look too but I can't fit the Baer Brake kit under them. I'll probably stick with the AMG rims for now and when I'm ready to put the brake kit and EVO wheels on this car, I'll ship the AMG rims to the UK and throw them on the GTI as summer wheels.

Quoting curtis:

Crap I though I won a free pp and disk. Oh well I'll put it in the crate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

By the way there was no throw out bearing in the box just the PP and disk.

Yeah he said there was no TOB included. Everyone says use an OEM one anyway so I figured what the heck, it was a good price!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned