The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

852/2000 gets new FMIC, and a bunch of other stuff, progress inside.

JamesFoster

So I picked up number 852/2000 a few months ago, with a handful of issues, my goal has been to fix every one of those issues while making the car a reliable daily driver and also increase performance. When I picked up the car, it leaked oil, trans fluid and the transfer case leaked from the yoke, had fluid spewed all over the underbody and exhaust. The driver cv boot was torn, the valve cover leaked, and the cam angle sensor was going out. Also the front mount was way too big for the setup and was not mounted properly, and the piping was ill fitted and rubbing on the power steering pump.

I spent the past few weeks fixing every one of these issues, first off was replacing the fmic with a universal unit. The new intercooler had no mounting points, so I went to my buddies shop and he fab'd up some mounts for me, along with redoing the intercooler piping. The following pictures show the progress of that.
IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

IMAG0545.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

After that, I replaced the front left axle, pulled the transfer case and pulled the 5th gear cover off the trans, removed the output shaft, and replaced the output shaft seal, that is where the trans fluid leak came from.

Then I took off the oil pan, cleaned it up, and replaced it with the proper gasket materiel, import specific permatex stuff from napa. I also took off the valve cover and put a temp valve cover on until I get the Mitsubishi one powdercoated. Then I removed the pcv valve and put a hose barb with a line to the catch can to relieve crankcase pressure, and replaced the CAS.

Before putting everything back together, I removed the driveshaft yoke, RTV'd the inside of the yoke, and JB welded the outside to ensure it will not leak again.

New gaskets, Redline MT90 in the trans, and Heavyweight shockproof in the transfer case.
IMAG0571.jpg

oil pan cleaned up and ready to go
IMAG0572.jpg

BC 272's
IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

And the most recent addition, A-pillar pod riveted in, with AEM Tru Boost and UEGO Wideband.
IMAG0582.jpg

And now I'm happy to say the car has no leaks and runs great! More to come soon though...

Edit: Just for my own sake so I have it written down somewhere, I forgot to mention that I also replaced the ECU with one with the caps replaced and I replaced the ISC motor, and put in a new 140 amp rebuilt alternator with 4 gauge power and ground wires.

Last edited:

rdomeck

Very nice looking welds!

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting JamesFoster:

Before putting everything back together, I removed the driveshaft yoke, RTV'd the inside of the yoke, and JB welded the outside to ensure it will not leak again.

What??

turbowop

I did all that with my original yoke as well back in '02. It ended up breaking the JBweld on its first dragstrip pass. Just go with the $36 recall yoke from JNZ.

Jesh

I thought Terry was the only one who could use yellow plug wires!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

JamesFoster

Thanks for the compliments guys, I plan on lots more to come.

Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting JamesFoster:

What??

Quoting Turbowop:
I did all that with my original yoke as well back in '02. It ended up breaking the JBweld on its first dragstrip pass. Just go with the $36 recall yoke from JNZ.

I read that doing this would prevent the transfer case from leaking again. However, I will get the recall yoke as soon as I have the extra money. I just wanted to have a temporary fix until I get it. Thanks for telling me about the price for it at JNZ though I haven't seen it that cheap anywhere else.

JamesFoster

Quoting Jesh:
I thought Terry was the only one who could use yellow plug wires!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Haha, the car came with em.

turbowop

I actually just installed a new yoke on 503 yesterday. I hate pulling the driveshaft/exhaust/xfer case with the car just high enough on jack stands to fit me under it. My arms are sore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GSX_TC

yeah for real man, those are some dam good welds. lookin good

JamesFoster

Thanks guys. The welder is my buddy Roy, he has his own shop in Redlands where he builds insane off road desert race trucks. He's an unbelievable fabricator, and the stuff I bring him is cake compared to what he normally does, I'm just super lucky to happen to have a friend who can build anything. He also has a 1980 Toyota Corolla (or celica, not sure) that he takes to pikes peak every year. I'll take some pics of the place and some of the trucks he builds.

Cars come a long way since owning it. Love what you did with it. Shame I didn't have the cash to do the same when it was mine. Plans for fixing the rust issues

JamesFoster

Quoting ninnyVR4:
Cars come a long way since owning it. Love what you did with it. Shame I didn't have the cash to do the same when it was mine. Plans for fixing the rust issues

Thanks! I'm actually putting an FP68HTA turbo on it next week, and very soon some HKS cams, 255lph fuel pump, AFPR and a few other things. Soon I'll tackle the rust, it's actually not very bad, I had the car up on a lift and it's pretty much just surface rust. I'm going to remove the subframes, powdercoat them, install all new bushings, and sand off all the surface rust underneath on the body and repaint the underbody. The car still has a lot in store but it's definitely going to be taken care of.

JamesFoster

Also, you should change your signature!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned