The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing oil pan

JackbNimble

I need to drop the oil pan on my '90 GGSX. From the looks of it I am going to have to remove the whole transfer case and left axle. Am I correct on this or is there an easier way to do it? Also, if I will have to remove the transfer case and axle, what all is involved in this? Thank you.

gvr4ever

Yup. Exhaust too. Also the left frame connector. Not too bad over all. Just an annoyance of doing all that work and no upgrades.

Terry Posten

You don't have to remove the axle all the way.

Unbolt the 2 bolts that holds the middle of the axle to the block. Then you should be able to flex it enough to get the bolts out of the pan and the pan to drop down.

But it dos make it easier to do with the axle out.

Yes, remove exhaust downpipe, remove driver side axle including that axle bar (2 bolts and remember to loosen axle nut before you lift the car off the ground) and remove transfer case (6 bolts IIRC). Tie your driveshaft up to the 4ws lines or something else close by so it does not hang down and stress the joint.

I'm not positive on this but I think you will also need to drain trans fluid. Maybe t-case fluid too, unless you hold the t-case upright when removing it so fluid doesn't leak out.

No, there is no easier way to do it. T-case is a pretty easy removal process. Exhaust may be a bitch if your bolts are rusted. Axle + bar is fairly easy, just a pain sometimes to pop it out.

You also need to remove turbo oil drain tube from oil pan (2 bolts).

Then remove oil pans bolts and carefully use a putty knife and rubber mallet to break the seal.

joec

5 bolts for the transfer case. Make sure you get them all.

Make note that 2 of the oil pan bolts are shorter than the others. They need to go back in the same holes, the longer bolts will cut into the timing belt.

turbowop

Quoting 3of1000:

You also need to remove turbo oil drain tube from oil pan (2 bolts).

Also not applicable to the GGSX. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Quoting 3of1000:
Tie your driveshaft up to the 4ws lines .

It's a ggsx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Tie your driveshaft up to the ..... or something else close by so it does not hang down and stress the joint.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wopper, Was so focused on the usual turbo bits that I forgotz that he haz no turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned