The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dropping and reinstalling the oil pan

I have to drop the oil pan/reseal it/ and then reinstall it.

Not sure if my eyes deceive me, but it looks like I have to drop the transfer case and driveshaft too? They seem to be blocking the bolts to the oil pan. If I must drop the transfer case, will I lose fluid? If I do lose fluid, I want to swap it out with Redline.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Yes, you'll need to pull the xfer case. As long as you keep the back of it up higher than the front a bit, it won't drain any fluid out. You can just let the driveshaft hang.

89Mirageman

The drive shaft can just lay there but I think you'll have to pull the down pipe as well. Been a while since i did this on my old 92 talon, wasn't super hard to do but wasn't fun either. A small wire brush on my harbor freight air powered angle grinder worked great at cleaning the old sealant out of the little ditches on the pan lip. Also get a good quality sealant and put a nice bead on, start the bolts by hand but wait about a half hour before you fully tighten them. This will keep it from all sqiushing (guess that's a word) out. Also be sure to put the two shorter bolts in the correct spot. You probably know this stuff already but in case you didn't maybe it'll help.

Last edited:

Thanks all...downpipe is already down since I blew my turbo I guess there is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

mr.mitsu

You'll lose a little fluid from the x-fer case. You're better off changing the fluid if you were planning on doing it anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gvr4ever

Put aside the bolts (2 I think) below the timing belt. Don't mix them up with the others.

mitsuturbo

Depending on how high in the air the car is, you can leave the Tcase attached to the driveshaft and just put it on the ground. Push it off to the side a bit so it's out of your way, and make sure it's "right side up". Won't leak a drop.

Quoting gvr4ever:
Put aside the bolts (2 I think) below the timing belt. Don't mix them up with the others.

This and i propped my xfer case over a milk crate so its not resting on the ground.

ade

Quoting blkchr91:
I have to drop the oil pan/reseal it/ and then reinstall it.

my guess is, he's got an oil leak.

So anyways, I have some trouble guys. I can't get at one bolt on the passenger side. It seems like either a member has to come down or the axle does for just this one bolt on the passenger side. The axle is royally blocking it. Will bring up why I am doing this later, but right now need to get this figured out. I don't want to move the member and have the car come down on me....(just looks like a brace to me but want to be sure).

Had to remove the two bolts holding the driver's side axle and hold it away with a pry bar. Lost some redline fluid which does not make me happy.

The oil pan is still stuck...being held by that support member although it is broken free. I don't see how anyone could feel comfortable sticking RTV up there while having to work in such tight quarters. I am afraid that I will smear it and get a leak.

turbowop

Just get that crossmember out of the way. Nothing is going to fall down on you by removing it. And yeah, I also remove the carrier bearing for the half-shaft, but I only move it out of the way while unscrewing the bolts. I don't remember ever losing gear oil doing that.

Thanks...just wondering about getting it all together without smearing everything. It is pretty tight in there. One step at a time I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned