The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear diff rebuild/swap

Lancer99

Im swapping a 4 bolt end into the 3 bolt pumpkin to keep the all wheel steering, anyways is there any seals or bearing that I should replace since ill have everything apart?

Lancer99

Also what about the drive shaft? I think the carrier bearings are good but should I replace it anyways?

EMX5636

If you want to fully freshen it up... There are 2 pinion bearings, a crush sleeve (for preload), and 2 differential carrier bearings. Then Pinion seal, and output (axle) seals. You will probably need shims if using new bearings, and they should be checked for correct gear engagement/pattern even if not.

Driveshaft carriers can be replaced, but if they aren't bad, there isn't a need. It's cheaper to buy U-Joints in the T-case Recall kit (and steal the joint from it) and the parts for the Lobro joint is NLA (no longer available).

citymunky

Quoting Lancer99:
Also what about the drive shaft? I think the carrier bearings are good but should I replace it anyways?

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Lancer99

(There are 2 pinion bearings, a crush sleeve (for preload), and 2 differential carrier bearings. Then Pinion seal, and output (axle) seals) Where would I be able to find these parts? Rockauto? Autozone?

curtis

a few things if you go replacing bearings find someone with a press, your going to need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check bearing preload and run out etc and you can't mix and match gears. The pinion from one set must go with the ring gear it came with. This isn't hard and most mitsubishi rear ends I've done have been easy compared to domestic vehicles. the tolerances of the foreign stuff seems to be spot on compared to the domestic stuff. Read up on it and think about what your doing and you should be OK. Oh one more thing always lube up the new seals, installed dry will instantly go to crap. Last one I did was a friends 04 cobra, he bought a trutrac locker and we installed it into a cast iron housing from a IRS cougar instead of the aluminum housing his came with. What a pita about 15 tries of installing and dis-assembly to get the side load shims spot on. thing was over 100 pounds assembled and trying to hold the diff and torque the caps was no fun. I really wish detroit locker would build a trutrac for the VR4's. I'd be their first customer. Thing is a piece of mechanical art.

I just did a search and found a couple hits for the montero sports. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif So they do mitsubishi.....Its known that a rear diff from a evo will fit our housings so maybe they might do a smaller unit knowing it would fit the evo's as well as the vr4's/dsm's. That plus their magic with a front diff as well as a center diff would be perfect

in action

Lancer99

I've done a few by taken them apart and putting back together, but not going back on a vehicle. But I have done one rebuild with all the checks and preloads. I just want to know where to get the parts without paying too much. Seals I found on rockauto but what about the crush sleeve? I'll be going to swap out the 4 bolt diff into the 3 bolt housing to keep the AWS. I'll be keeping the same ring and pinion from the 3 bolt. Also does anoyone know where to get new U-Joints for the driveshaft?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned