The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick Question

GVR47111K

Is a clutch master cylinder for our cars one of those parts that I wanna buy OE rather than paying twice (or even more than that)?

Any recommendations for a specific one?

Will this one suffice?

Thank you all,

992gnt

I just picked a Dorman clutch master from Rock Auto for a bit less than that. I'm not a big fan of the "Duralast" pieces, but in reality how many manufacturers of these things are really out there?

transparentdsm

for that price go to rockauto use the promotion code we share on this site to save a bit and get the BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0728847

edit- ^ nice call.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

I've done the autozone slave and master, never again. A local on tuners did the measurements of oem vs autozone and it was significant enough to cause problems.

desant78

I forget what I ordered, probably what Transparentdsm is recommending. I can offer that there are good threads on this site about the exact master cylinder to use. It's old, but I followed the thread and ordered the master/slave cylinders, and they worked great!

A none-oem brand is recommended and proven in the thread along with a part number. Good luck!

GVR47111K

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Would it be worth it to just order a replacement kit from JNZ or is it better to just ditch the old one since it is 20 years old?

I'm trying to pinch pennies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

desant78

I LOVE my new ones, honestly best "mod" I did to my car for drive-ability. It wasn't too pricey either. Definately look up the parts to help with your decision!

992gnt

I wouldn't waste my time rebuilding a part I can buy new for $35. YMMV

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Personally I'd only use OEM for the master and slave.

prove_it

I say it depends on your set-up. A stock car will get by with aftermarket, but a car with a heavier clutch should stick to OEM. That's my opinion based on the amount of clutch disengage issues our cars can have when using beefy clutches.

Also replace the hydraulic line too while your in there. Also using a 92 spec slave cylinder will get you better pedal feel.

Brunoboy

Removing the restrictor in the slave gives a better pedal feel as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned