The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another clutch question

OMFGeofffff

I know there's some things you shouldn't buy from ebay but I'm wondering what your opinions are about this.

click

My car is pretty much stock but I want some room for upgrade. I'm thinking e16g with supporting mods until I wanna get nuts with a fp30 series turbo.

I've narrowed another clutch choice down to clutchnet... Now the problem there is there a TONS of options. I really don't know where to start for a combo. I've heard good things of the red 2x pressure plate but I'm not sure what disk to go along with that. I'm not really sure what my budget is but I know I need to upgrade considering my clutch is starting to slip on my stock 14b pushing 15psi. Let's say my max is $300-350 for now.

Thanks for any recommendations,
Jeff

The clutch in the link says it holds up to 20% increase in engine torque. Considering our cars made 203 lb/ft from the factory, that clutch would hold 243 lb/ft. You would blow that clutch away with an e3 16g.

belize1334

You're assuming that the torque rating of the stock clutch is the same as the torque output of a stock engine. This just isn't true.

An ACT 2100 is rated at about 350 ft-lb. The stock clutch is a 1600lb plate so that scales the stock torque rating to about 270 ft-lb. And, that's meant to be a service rating... they hold more. A 20% increase in clamp load should handle 300 ft-lb without a problem. But, if you launch it you'll make it slip and burn up the disk. And remember, this is engine torque, not adjusted torque calculated from hp extrapolated from whp.

Brunoboy

Quoting donniekak:
If you are going to get an ebay clutch, get an xtd stage 4, proven to hold 500+ hp, for under $200.

Agreed, i am running this unsprung , i have numerous launches and still holding strong with light pedal feel compared to my last act 2100.

OMFGeofffff

The only reason that clutch caught my attention is because it looks to have a similar design to clutchnet to keep the springs from popping out.

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
Ummmmm no.

Posts like this = useless and egotistical.

Quoting belize1334:
You're assuming that the torque rating of the stock clutch is the same as the torque output of a stock engine. This just isn't true.

An ACT 2100 is rated at about 350 ft-lb. The stock clutch is a 1600lb plate so that scales the stock torque rating to about 270 ft-lb. And, that's meant to be a service rating... they hold more. A 20% increase in clamp load should handle 300 ft-lb without a problem. But, if you launch it you'll make it slip and burn up the disk. And remember, this is engine torque, not adjusted torque calculated from hp extrapolated from whp.

Posts like this = helpful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned