The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problem with tranmission

misfitsnemesis

Okay got all the CEL cleared on 602 the other day. About a mile down the road heard a random DSM bolt fall out from under the car.
Well kept going on my way noticed it wasnt wanting to go into gear about 2 miles down the road. Stopped started looking
for the problem. Well noticed when you press the clutch in the motor and trans is wanting to push away from one another.
Also noticed two tranny bolt missing. So guess that would be the reason of why its doing it. My big concern is though is why did the bolts back out? Has any one else ever had this problem befor? Should i check anything else with my trans to make sure no other damage was done?

vibration? not tightened down enough before? just use some loctite next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

I'm guessing you did a swap or some work and left the bolts loose. I've never seen the bolts back out when installed properly.

Either that or maybe you have a friend who thought it would be funny?

moidsm1

DO not drive the car like that, Ive broken a bellhousing that way. Get the bolts back in ASAP. Im agree that they probably werent torqued properly.

mitsuturbo

Agreed. When you replace the bolts, make DAMN sure the "special" tranny bolt is in there too! By special, i mean the one with a 12mm head with the #10 embossed in the head of it. It goes near the driver side axle.

I've seen 3 cracked/broken bellhousings because this bolt was left out by shitty technicians.

misfitsnemesis

Yeah i didnt drive it i towed it home.
Waiting till i get paid to go ahead and do a clutch and such ordered some new bolts. But want to check the tranny first and make sure no major damage was done.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned