The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Average Tank Fill? Weird Issue.....

alansupra94

Well after filling up today, I noticed that I got approximately 12.5 gallons. I looked at my gauge and I still probably had maybe room for 1-2 more gallons of fuel (estimation). So then I broke out my owners manual and read that the size of the tank is 16.4 and when the light comes on, that indicates 1-2 gallons left.

My hunch was right but I do not know why the car stops short of 1-2 gallons. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean its no real biggie but it is kinda annoying.

turbofonz

My car does the same. Tops out around 12.5 gallons and never reads full. Oh well.

Perkul8r

I usually fill mine till it clicks off, than put a little more in. Seems like thats the only way for mine to seem like it doesn't suck gas down.

alansupra94

And here I thought I was the only one.

Well I can live with it. At least my car runs well so I can't complain.

DR1665

Quoting alansupra94:
when the light comes on, that indicates 1-2 gallons left.

Quoting turbofonz:
My car does the same. Tops out around 12.5 gallons and never reads full. Oh well.

Interesting. I know the 2G DSMs are bit more accurate in this regard. The FWD cars have a 16.9G tank and, over the course of 12 years and 200,000 miles, it would usually take 13.xG to fill the tank in my 97 Talon. It was like clockwork. One time, I got 550 miles on just under 15 gallons. This makes me wonder... I know the tanks on the AWD DSMs are different (smaller) than on the FWD models to clear the prop shaft/rear end/etc., to the tune of something like 3-4 gallons, yet there was a time when many AWD owners "consulted the manual" and thought they had 17 gallon tanks too. Could there be a similar situation in the GVR4 documentation?

If memory serves, our fuel pump assemblies drop into a sort of reservoir within the tank, which is probably supposed to act like a swirlpot, keeping a small volume of fuel immediately available irrespective of g-force. This is likely why the low fuel light can turn off during hard acceleration or the like. What really stands out to me about this whole discussion, however, is you guys talking about how your gauges never read full and that the light comes on when there's 1-2 gallons left in the tank. On both my GVR4s, the light comes on like clockwork as soon as the needle dips below the HALFWAY marker.

I know there's a resistor mod we can do to dial in the sending unit voltage for more accurate readings, but I'm thinking, next time I plan to pull the cluster, I might just make sure the tank is completely full first, and manually set the needle on the gauge to center on the F.

Brunoboy

ive filled 15 gallons before. with fuel in the tank......not much fuel since i was running on light, but yea its a close call.

SouthCaliVR4

I too rarely have pumped in more than 12gal. & I don't read full either but... I did before I had the pump out last year. My thinking is that I bent the level sender rod a tad but have never pulled it back out to try & re-adjust it. the light still comes on just when it allways did but I think that works off a seperate sensor on the assembly.

pot

Staff member
I've had this issues on all three of my gvr4s. Like everyone, I consulted the owner's manual too. What has worked for me as of late is when the pump automatically shuts off, I go ahead and pump more fuel, let the pump shut off and continue this routine for three to four iterations until I manage to pump in usually about 14 - 14.5 gallons.

My only guess is that either the manual has a typo or the shape of the fuel tank/filler neck causes the fuel to "swash" around fooling the pump's automatic shutoff.

OMFGeofffff

Sometimes if I wait a couple minutes after it "clicks" I'm able to pump another gallon or two in. I've read that pumping full speed causes bubbles or something which will make the pump prematurely turn off.

Lonewolf64

Quoting Pot:
I've had this issues on all three of my gvr4s. Like everyone, I consulted the owner's manual too. What has worked for me as of late is when the pump automatically shuts off, I go ahead and pump more fuel, let the pump shut off and continue this routine for three to four iterations until I manage to pump in usually about 14 - 14.5 gallons.

My only guess is that either the manual has a typo or the shape of the fuel tank/filler neck causes the fuel to "swash" around fooling the pump's automatic shutoff.

I believe this is the underlying issue behind this annoyance. I have this problem in 889.

OMFGeofffff

Is there an echo in here lol. I didn't see he mentioned that before me. When I fill up I get 12 galloons too until I wait for everything to settle.

mine is the same but it clicks off i wait thirty seconds or so and start it again and it usually takes two or three more gallons and then will read full. sometimes it wont take it and reads about three qaurters

turbofonz

1G AWD's supposedly have 16 gallon tank too, I've never put more than 13 in mine. My gauge reads slightly over the full mark on a full fillup on that though.

belize1334

I believe that the issue has to do with the tank design. You'll notice that the fuel filler hose goes down to the bottom of the tank so that it fills from the bottom up. That means that it can only fill as fast as it can push air out of the breather hose. I have a hunch that the breather hoses get clogged but I haven't checked that. By comparison, the fwd n/t galants have a different tank which doesn't have to accommodate the rear differential and in those cars the filler hose pours down into the top of the tank. That way air can just rush up and out the main hose and it can fill as fast and high as it wants. I'd bet dollars to pesos that those cars get a better fill-up.

As some have mentioned, if you fill till it clicks then wait 30 seconds and then start again it'll take another gallon or two. If you repeat you can usually get two or three gallons on top of the initial auto-stop.

Brunoboy

Ok after all this reading I decided to try again and fill up to max. Everytime my car clicks it would read 3/4 tank. I always thought my float was bad and I get around 190-210 miles before light. I decided to do the stop and wait thing...lol. I topped off and about half a gallon was all over the floor. Atleast this time it read Full. I guess these cars do stop before hand. but depending on the car will determine how much is needed to be added in after the initial click.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned