The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pricing A VR4

krschwab

Hey all...I did have an account here some time ago, but I'm unable to get back into it, so posting from a new account.

I own 141/2000. Old details/pictures on it here: https://www.galantvr4.org/threads/kschwabs-1991-141-2000.700/

I'd lost interest in the vehicle around 2007 when the transmission started grinding in 2nd/3rd and parked it in the garage. At the time it was running and driving, though not running terribly well, black smoke when the turbo kicked in, probably due to attempts to use larger injectors, modded ECU, etc.

So it's been in the garage for quite a while, with the usual issues there. I didn't put fuel stabilizer in it, tires went flat, etc. Also, a skateboard smashed the rear window, so that needs to be replaced.

On the upside, the paint is still very new looking, seats are in good shape, etc. It has some nice installed things like a big intercooler, intake, exhaust manifold, injectors, cams, etc (see full specs in the link above).

I also have a lot of spare/not-yet-installed parts around, like a known-good transmission, 4-bolt rear, struts/shocks from an EVO8.

I'm curious what I should price the vehicle at if I want to sell it as-is. It's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Last edited:

diambo4life

Because it's non running and hasn't been for awhile, it would need to be gone over which unfortunately, negatively affects the price significantly. It's almost like you're selling a roller. If you have no intention of assembling the vehicle, I would sell it as a roller and sell the other individual pieces separately. As a roller, obviously, people would want to see photographs to ensure it's worth their while ie. no rust etc.

I wish I had the room, I would take it and start building it for my son. I have too many cars though...lol.

krschwab

Because it's non running and hasn't been for awhile, it would need to be gone over which unfortunately, negatively affects the price significantly. It's almost like you're selling a roller. If you have no intention of assembling the vehicle, I would sell it as a roller and sell the other individual pieces separately. As a roller, obviously, people would want to see photographs to ensure it's worth their while ie. no rust etc.

I wish I had the room, I would take it and start building it for my son. I have too many cars though...lol.
Appreciate the guidance. It is rust-free, and was painted about 2 years before garaging it.

gvr4ever

If it's still as non rusted as the older post and complete, IMO, it's more than a roller. While it might require a bit to get it road worthy, it also might just be all fluids, fresh plugs and a timing belt inspection. Sounds like it needs tires too.

If you haven't yet, take the plugs out, pour a little oil on top of the pistons, let it sit overnight and manually crank it over the next day and make sure the engine isn't frozen.

As for pricing, I feel like too many have the they aren't worth anything mentality. I think it's time to stop letting them go for peanuts. Any non rusted, clean chassis with a original engine and transmission should go for at least 4-5K running or not. I feel like any key turn ready GVR4 that has been kept up should be at least 10K+. Assuming they aren't hack parts slapped on, generic crap from china, etc. Talking well sorted examples.

Last edited:
Hey all...I did have an account here some time ago, but I'm unable to get back into it, so posting from a new account.

I own 141/2000. Old details/pictures on it here: https://www.galantvr4.org/threads/kschwabs-1991-141-2000.700/

I'd lost interest in the vehicle around 2007 when the transmission started grinding in 2nd/3rd and parked it in the garage. At the time it was running and driving, though not running terribly well, black smoke when the turbo kicked in, probably due to attempts to use larger injectors, modded ECU, etc.

So it's been in the garage for quite a while, with the usual issues there. I didn't put fuel stabilizer in it, tires went flat, etc. Also, a skateboard smashed the rear window, so that needs to be replaced.

On the upside, the paint is still very new looking, seats are in good shape, etc. It has some nice installed things like a big intercooler, intake, exhaust manifold, injectors, cams, etc (see full specs in the link above).

I also have a lot of spare/not-yet-installed parts around, like a known-good transmission, 4-bolt rear, struts/shocks from an EVO8.

I'm curious what I should price the vehicle at if I want to sell it as-is. It's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Interested in discussing the car with you. I'm in Arlington.

krschwab

I'm still here waiting for your reply on what you're asking for the car.
Well, I didn't open a for sale thread, right...I opened a thread to get current on what they are worth. And it sounds like I need to clean it up and get some pictures to figure that out.

Basically I don't know what to ask for it yet, though I'm hoping to go with a theme that's a fair price given the work needed, while at the same time recognizing there's things about the vehicle that are in unusually good shape, etc.

Well, I didn't open a for sale thread, right...I opened a thread to get current on what they are worth. And it sounds like I need to clean it up and get some pictures to figure that out.

Basically I don't know what to ask for it yet, though I'm hoping to go with a theme that's a fair price given the work needed, while at the same time recognizing there's things about the vehicle that are in unusually good shape, etc.
All good man, I'd just like a fair shake to make an offer once everything is sorted since we've already communicated about it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned