The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant gsx auto/manual conversion

Jesh

So I have a '91 galant gsx with a automatic transmission. Not a fan of auto's and pretty sure it doesn't work anyways, so I would like to put a manual in it. My question is, did they have provisions for making these cars manual or automatic from the factory? Like say... holes in the firewall for the clutch assembly, shifter cables etc... Or do I have to drill my own?

IncorpoRatedX

im jealous, i wish mine was auto. Fix it and keep it auto!

Jesh

If the tranny works I might do just that. But it's been sitting for over 10 years and I have my doubts.

QnzMostWanted

as far as I know, the imprints of where the clutch pedal, master cylinder etc go should be there, the shifter cables go thru the same hole as the automatic shift selector cable, so it should be all set, when i did the 5spd conversion on my friends 6th Gen Galant ES the imprints were there,so it should be the same for ur GGSX

SmoothCustomer

If I might make a recommendation I would say throw a dsm transmission in there. If I recall correctly, as long as you put in a dsm rear differential as well it should be no problem. It should be much stronger and easier/cheaper to come by these parts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts