The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power steering

I have been reading alot about 4WS delete. I have come up with not alot of really what lines to cap. I bought this car and it was FWD. I finally got a driveshaft, transfercase, new input shaft, and a 3 bolt LSD rear. When the items were put on they removed the 4WS in the rear. I have no power steering now and the diff is welded. Let me tell you its a B**CH to drive. Question I have is: Will a TEL power steering resevior work 1g or 2g? I hope you understand what I am saying. Thanks in advance!

Wendy
Kicked Cancers BALLS And ASS!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

THEKID

i am using a 1g rack a 1g reservoir and a 2g pump with a unorthodox pulley.

atc250r

Staff member
Pretty much the same here. There are some pretty detailed instructions in the How-To section regarding eliminating the 4WS system. If you just put a 1G DSM rack in, there is nothing to block off. If you keep the GVR4 rack there are two hoses that need to be plugged on the rack and I believe they are both on the passenger side.

John

Would you know where and which ones need to be capped? I need my power steering back. THank you

Wendy

Nate

There are four lines total that you need to block off. Two are coming off of the power steering fluid reservoir; they go down along the bottom of the radiator and then up around the passenger's side of the engine compartment, then down between the body and the subframe, and ultimately they head to the back of the car. The other two you need to block off to get your power steering back are the ones that thread into the steering rack on the passenger's side; they will need to be accessed from under the car. I believe two oil pan drain bolts will block those holes off nicely.

atc250r

Staff member
There is detailed info in the How-To archive. I'm not sure what more I can tell you since its all covered in great detail in that section. Search 4WS in that section and you'll get a ton of hits.

John

I must say I have spent all day with this 4WS delete. I had to run to several stores that carry M14 X 1.5 thread pitch. I finally found some at a hardware store yet they were way too long. Broke out the dremel and cut them to lenth. BTW, no one around here carries AN fittings so I could cap the lines on the steering rack. I used Quick steel, this stuff is awesome. It is a pure pain in the A** to get to those 2 places on the rack to put the bolts in!!! I wouldnt do that again if someone paid me. Quick steel is curing overnight.

Wendy

Ok, here is the latest. Got up this morning and had powe steering turning left but not right. Drove for about 25 miles, made a hard left and some thing has either come loose or the quick steel didnt hold. I just find it strange I had power steering to the left nut not the right???? It is curently pouring down rain and my 1g race car is in the garage curently under reconstruction. AGGGGGG... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I will check it out when the weather brakes to see what is leaking. When I oulled into a parking spot this morning with the had left it release ALL the power steering fluid. I hate rainy days!

Wendy
Final stage

Yeah the thing about epoxy/quick steel/jb weld, is that the surface has to be a little rough, and *Completley* dry.

As far as your power steering rack, well you just did the AWS delete and its all tied in.

Just gotta get your power steering bled.

I Believe the Service manual calls for a Car With AWS, to be put on 4 jackstands (A GVR4 on jackstands? Shocker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) run in 2nd gear at 15 MPH, and turn the wheel left to right from lock-to-lock a few times. Try it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

atc250r

Staff member
In the end its almost easier to just do what I did and get a 1G DSM rack for it. No worries about hacked up plugs or quick steel goop coming apart 200 miles from home.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned