The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need suggestion urgent on power steering

fongvr4

hi, really need help to keep another vr4 on the road.
Basically, the rear power steering lines were rusty, and can't do the work anymore, according to the mechanic. He suggests to swap the 4WS with FWD steering by replacing the power steering rack and pump.

is it the best option? I did my research, and learned there is no way to get OEM steering lines anymore.

if it is the only option for power steering(better than no power steering), then I found Rockauto has this

Anyone try ACDELCO 36R0722 {#19320820) before?

thanks/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Is the current front rack OK? You can remove and plug the rear outlets with 14mm plugs. You will need to also cap the rear return lines to the reservoir so you don't have a leak path.

Otherwise, that rack would probably work. Looks like it fits the E38 AWD non-4WS version.

andrew4g63

The 1g eclipse rack and pinion is the same figment but 2ws. I have swapped eclipse racks into galants and looped front lines or swapped a reservoir and lines from eclipse as well. Should also mention that an All wheel drive model rack and pinion should be used for correct amount of steering turn or angle.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

keep the gvr4 reservoir if you want to keep the 4ws (actually low PS fluid warning) light. Just cap the returns and you're golden. I've got a 1g rack in my car for the ease of 4ws delete myself.

fongvr4

thanks for all the suggestions. I tried to order from rockauto, but after more than a week of waiting, they cancelled my order because out of stock. Then Amazon ACDELCO has it out of stock as well. It appears that I have go with the 1g solution now, unless I can find one in the forum.

the current rack in the car was ok before sent to the shop with leaks in the rear lines. but now, it has no power steering at all. that is why I am trying to get it replaced. Is it possible to get it rebuilt at some shops?

thanks/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

fongvr4

Quoting andrew4g63:
The 1g eclipse rack and pinion is the same figment but 2ws. I have swapped eclipse racks into galants and looped front lines or swapped a reservoir and lines from eclipse as well. Should also mention that an All wheel drive model rack and pinion should be used for correct amount of steering turn or angle.

do you think I can use this: ACDELCO 36R0731(from Rockauto for 91 Eclipse turbo)

thanks

This is all second hand information so you'll need to check it out yourself:

17.8:1 steering ratio GVR4 click

15.8:1 steering ratio 1g DSM click

The 1g racks should fit. I have taken a 1g GSX rack off and it sure looked like the GVR4 one but I never got around to installing it. I have read multiple posts on this website of people installing 1g DSM racks both powered and manual into our generation GVR4.

At Rockauto the MITSUBISHI > 1991 > GALANT > 2.0L L4 DOHC > Steering > Rack and Pinion > AWD
should fit but I'm not sure of the ratio.

Last edited:

vrpower

I completed a full oem steering line replacement front to back at a shop in the area many years ago on the GVR4.
It was a special order since the parts came in from Japan. So it took many weeks for transport.

I am sure if you really looked around online, there is probably a warehouse out there that has some new lines laying around. It'll take a search thou..

Best of luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts