The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any thoughts on power steering failure?

Flybyevo

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

My 215k 19/1000 suffered a power steering failure some time ago.

I brought the black beauty to the place that has been working on it since 1998.

They said that the rear power steering hydraulics for the 4WS is not working. They suggested to bypass the hydraulic lines heading to the rear to eliminate the rear 4WS power steering. Sounded ok to me as from what I can tell from the manual there is only 1.5 degrees of movement back there so if it was eliminated who cares.

They did that and lo and behold the power steering still did not work.

I sourced a used power steering pump that was known to be working. Same result no power steering.

I would like to get the VR4 repaired. Just before this happened I replaced the timing belt and cam seals as well as all new parts that were taken off during the service.

What do the GVR4 minds think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

James

There's a fixed amount of parts that control the power steering. Examine each part and find the faulty one.

KiNgMaRtY

I had an issue with 611. I had a leaking power steering pump and thought I would replace it with a reman as I had lifetime from one that I had got on the 1g. I put the new one in and bled it, no power steering, tried 2 more units and nothing still! I could not put the original back on as I had traded it for the core exchange.
I then sourced one a used OEM pump GVR-4 specific and I was good to go. When putting it on, I realized there was an extra piece, don't recall what it was excatly put it went inside when the nipple screws on with the spring OR where the power steering line hooks up. I realized all the pumps I tried did not have that small piece inside.

prove_it

Throw a manual rack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flybyevo

Thanks for the responses.

I should have mentioned that the original problem was a leak at the rear pump. As the fluid came out and before the visit to the shop the power steering failed more and more until there was none. There was no leak at the engine mounted pump. Possibly running the pump with little or eventually no fluid could have caused a failure.

I have the original pump. Can these pumps be repaired? Is it also possible that the pump is ok and there is something else amiss. Sorry for so many questions.

The shop has also said that the front suspension needs work. Oh boy what have I got myself into?

The 19/1000 is looking lonely at the end of my driveway where it has been for some time.

tektic

Bring it to Garry he works out of delta transmission in Smithtown. He is the BEST Mitsubishi mechanic on the Island hands down. Very reasonable prices too.

CutlassJim

If they took the signal lines from the rack and looped them the steering wheel will fight you real bad similar to no power steering. Check to make sure they blocked them off correctly.

Flybyevo

I apologize for such a long delay. Thanks again for all the responses.

I have found someone who is happy to take a look through the recommendation in this thread.

Thanks for that help.

I will post once #19 is rolling again. Over 200,000 miles with smiles and looking forward to more.

I am the second owner. Picked it up in February of 1993 with 1,665 miles.

What a ride!

Flybyevo

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned