The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Post your FMIC and FMIC Info

quote:Originally posted by number3:
quote:Originally posted by Bimmubishi:
Doug's being stubborn
wink.gif
And he is not listening very well...

He continues to argue with me about something I agree with him on. It is not really important more that curious at this point.

I never once said IC pipe length was important to horsepower yet he continues to argue that point.

Doug, I agree with you. Damn!
Calm down cowboy no need to get excited. I could care less if you agree with me or not.

quote:Originally posted by number3:
Please stop commenting on MY posts, until we actually have different points of view on the subject. You are stating things that have no bearing on my comments.

You are only confusing people who are trying to learn a few things.

Thanks.
I'll be nice and won't say what I really want to tell you.

Sorry for going off topic to the other forum members.
smile.gif

Bimmubishi

I should add that I think Doug has a point in that "does it really matter"

It probably doesn't! But for argument's sake, technically, to be precise ad nauseam it does..

So Doug, I see what you're saying. Not every garage that welds pipes together has a house engineer with a handbook on how to best do things, and even if they did, dimensional considerations, heat sources in the engine bay and all kinds of other variables make the long pipes a best case solution.

That's all I got.
Word to your moms I CAME TO DROP BOMBS.

You forgot one point about some of the cars, Nitrous. No lag, Who cares aboubt lengh then. Any way my upper pipes is about the same as harrys but 2 1/2.

quote:Originally posted by 1quickvr4:
You forgot one point about some of the cars, Nitrous. No lag, Who cares aboubt lengh then. Any way my upper pipes is about the same as harrys but 2 1/2. Zack,

Please don't mention nitrous in this thread because you'll be confusing the people who want to learn more than I did.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
I forgot the mention that 3inch intercooler pipes are over kill.

Whistler's upper intercooler pipe is much better designed with less bends and shorter piping. It looks like the Buschur Racing or Indy Racing intercooler pipe that they sell with their kits.

number3

If none of my ideas PSI drop matter why bother changing out any of the OEM IC pipes at all or the front mount OEM IC for that matter.

For some strange reason I feel I need to expalin Dougs actions once again...For anyone that doesn't know. Doug like to take time out of his busy schedule to attack anything I say or do. Not the first time nor the last, I'm sure.

When you dare to do things on your own and just don't jump on every bandwagon that passes by you are setting yourself up for criticism. It happens in my line of work as well. It is a big part of being in Custom work and design. But on the plus side I get lots of press from the ones that look at what you do with an open mind and think it is really cool. It is a great feeling. Some people will never know that feeling (cough). They are too afraid to try.

There are a number of people on this list that aren't afraid to try things and share them and it is a big reason I like to be part of the list.

BTW If you think a 3" IC pipe is overkill you should see the turbo or the fuel pump I run. The whole car is overkill! DUH!

Clay you asked a good question. I hope you got some of your questions answered. Aren't Turbos FUN!

Harry

04DrBlur

quote: If your running an internal gated 16G on a Galant you have no choice but to go over the manifold. Says who? You ever heard of clocking your turbo? And yes with an internal gate it is not that hard. You can even use the bolt hole on the top of the compressor housing to mount the actuator..

quote: No matter what you do if you run over or under the manifold your going to have some type of 90-degree bend and it doesn’t make a difference. It’s matter of preference as far I’m concerned your car is not going to perform any differential either way. Yes you will have A 90 if you run under the manifold. If you run over the manifold you have like what 3 90's. Back to the flow restriction issue.

Hate to break the news to you, but people have been installing bigger external fuel pumps, bigger turbos and even 3inch intercooler pipes on these cars for years, so your not doing any thing that hasn't been done already.

There's wrong with following the normal upgrade menu for these car is not a bad thing at all.

quote:Originally posted by 04DrBlur:
quote: If your running an internal gated 16G on a Galant you have no choice but to go over the manifold. Says who? You ever heard of clocking your turbo? And yes with an internal gate it is not that hard. You can even use the bolt hole on the top of the compressor housing to mount the actuator..

quote: No matter what you do if you run over or under the manifold your going to have some type of 90-degree bend and it doesn’t make a difference. It’s matter of preference as far I’m concerned your car is not going to perform any differential either way. Yes you will have A 90 if you run under the manifold. If you run over the manifold you have like what 3 90's. Back to the flow restriction issue.
There's been a few Galants and even the AMS EVO running the piping over the manifold and they all run pretty fast with that set-up.

I've never seen a 16G clocked with a internal gate on a Galant, so I standed corrected. Do you have any pics of this?

Ya Doug I think we're saying the same thing now. We both have intercoolers on our cars already. But to those who don't, it's more important to get the intercooler on the car than overthink and worry about the pipe routing. Pick something, buy it or build it, and enjoy the huge difference a decent core and piping makes. Besides you can always change it later if you think it's really slowing you down (not likely).

boostx

is there any front mount IC does not requried to cut the front bumper support and can i see some pics

boostx

quote:Originally posted by Clay:
the extreme kit that someone posted earlier didnt require any cutting, a little hammer work on the bumper support but thats about it i cant find the pics

quote:Originally posted by V8 Eater:
but this seems to be the most direct way to route the piping

img.php
Your absolutely correct, if your turbo outlet faces down. If your outlet faces up you more than likely would avoid a 180* bend followed by two 90*s.

If I ever get tired of saving for a PWR air/water cooler, I will probably try the one they used on the DDP VR4 in Turbo Magazine. They got 30hp to the wheels for a total of 251hp and 286tq with nothing but an air filter and exhaust. The lower IC pipe was like half as long as it usually is.
95fmic.jpg

the extreme kit that someone posted earlier didnt require any cutting, a little hammer work on the bumper support but thats about it

quote:Originally posted by Doug Thomas:
Hate to break the news to you, but people have been installing bigger external fuel pumps, bigger turbos and even 3inch intercooler pipes on these cars for years, so your not doing any thing that hasn't been done already. Come back down here, dude. Your kind of missing the point. It's how you run the lines for your bigger Fuel Pump, or which bigger turbo combination you went with, or (now taboo) how you ran you bigger IC piping.

If someone devotes the time and effort to custom fabricate a performance part for his car, I'm not going to get on here and say: "Man, thats not going to make any difference" or "That's a little overkill for a street car". Modify your car with the path of least resistance all you want. But when I see someone put a lot of time into something, despite the fact that it makes very little difference, I appreciate it that much more.

V8EATER

FWIW, here is a shannon i/c setup, with a 20g, i/c piping running under the turbo. I know i'm a noob, but this seems to be the most direct way to route the piping, and not running it over the exhaust manifold would, in theory, keep the temps lower, no? wouldn't this allow the intercooler to lower the intake temps even further?

img.php

img.php

I think that in two systems that are built with the same qaulity 99.9% of you seat of the pants tuners and chassis dyno's here would have a hard time measuring any difference between the longer systems and the shorter ones, and the difference that a couple of bends will make... in real world systems we are dealing with usally 20 psi or less and cfm's that are insignificant at this level. your hvac theory is at best remotely similar to our application because they use huge cfm's and almost no pressure. the intercoolers on here with multiple cores have worse flow than one could ever create with mandrel bends, also poorly welded tubing with giant bubble gum beads,slag, and peices of wire inside of tube create much more drag/resistance than all of the subjects that you are discussing. not to flame/hate on anyone here but maby you all should start with a QUALITY sytem before you start to concern yourself with such issues. find a proffesional to get advise from, there is great wealths of information on the web, but it is useless if one does not use it properly

Hertz

Staff member
You can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned