The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Post your FMIC and FMIC Info

V8EATER

img.php

Spearco 10x28 double thick, 2 1/4" lower, 2 1/2" upper hard pipes.

V8EATER

BTW, am i the only one with the bumper supports still in the car? My bumper seems pretty f'in flimsy even with the supports. thoughts?

DSC02734.JPG

DSC02757.JPG

DSC02767.JPG

DSC02768.JPG

South Florida Performance FMIC 12"Hx33L"x3.5"W tanks inc with 2 1/2" piping (I don't have a good pic of the piping but I did very minimal cutting for fitment of the pipes but did remove the bumper support)

ccdsm, that intercooler from sfp , is it a kit they specially make for the gvr4?

do they sell the gvr4 piping?

im very interested, how much?

Doug, why do you say that short pipe routing has no affect at all on power or performance? It seems to me, that with the stock routing going over the hot manifold, it can absorb a lot of heat and then transfer that to the charge air. Not only is hot air less dense, thus less potential for power, it's more likely to knock, which not only robs power (timing) but is damaging. Also, the short piping uses less pipe, obviously, so there's less distance for the air to travel from the turbo to the TB, improving throttle response. Do you think this is untrue? If so, you could have 10 feet if IC piping wound spiral fashion around the manifold and downpipe, and this would be no more detrimental than a short IC pipe route?

im sure there is a difference

my question is if the difference is worth the trouble of the work it takes to make the short route piping fit correctly

quote:Originally posted by Doug Thomas:
Short route piping has no effect on performance or horsepower. It’s just a matter of preference. none at all? will it help with pressure drop?
and sorry to ask, but what exactly do you guys mean by the "short route"?
ive stared at my gvr4 many times thinking of ways to run the ic piping. and the stock one looks like it would probably be the best way to run it.
but i havent done any reaserch and that is just my opinion.

Beemer - I got it from a local truck dealer/repairer. They service Mack, Scania, DAF Volvo etc so I actually have no idea what it was originally off.
frown.gif
The whole core with tanks cost us $100au and after cutting out the damaged top/bottom sections we got enough to do both my car & a mate's SR20DET 180SX, hence we paid $50 each.
grin.gif
we modified the original end tanks to suit the 2 cars and there we were. The whole job cost a fair bit actually with the piping, silicon hose etc., it just sounds funny to say it's a $50 intercooler.
smile.gif
It keeps temps to within about 10 or 15 deg Celcius of ambeint, so it works alright.

V8Eater - I only cut the centre, lower triangle bit out, if that makes any sence?

number3

img.php

this is a split core that I sourced from a Semi truck. It is a garret core that is 32 inches across and 13 inchs tall. I had to split the core in half and had 2 IC cores for the price of one. I have done temp readings on it after a run and taken the temps from the end tanks and the temp drop is a 193F to ambient ..not to bad for a 75 dollar FMIC.

a_santos

Here are a couple of pics of my setup. It is not the nicest, but it is very effective and was very light on the wallet.

img.php

img.php

img.php

It is a supra intercooler. It works really well. No matter how hard I drive the car, the oulet side is always ambient temperature, never warm at all.

I really like it and there is no more lag than with the stock setup.

Spearco 2-221 with top to bottom flow end tanks. Piping made custom by me, all routed towards passenger side of car, due to same side inlet/outlet.

quote:Originally posted by Clay:
those of you with the short route piping, did you feel a difference when you went to short piping?

would you say it was worth the trouble of cutting and stuff to get shorter piping, or is the stock route just as good?
Stock route is just as good.

IM000198.jpg

IM000199.jpg

IM000200.jpg

Katie

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
Doug, why do you say that short pipe routing has no affect at all on power or performance? It seems to me, that with the stock routing going over the hot manifold, it can absorb a lot of heat and then transfer that to the charge air. Not only is hot air less dense, thus less potential for power, it's more likely to knock, which not only robs power (timing) but is damaging. Also, the short piping uses less pipe, obviously, so there's less distance for the air to travel from the turbo to the TB, improving throttle response. Do you think this is untrue? If so, you could have 10 feet if IC piping wound spiral fashion around the manifold and downpipe, and this would be no more detrimental than a short IC pipe route? There have been tests on this and if I remember correctly you would actually have to route your piping almost the whole length of the car before you would see power drop. I thought the same thing until I was corrected.

Katie

quote:Originally posted by galantvr4us:
There have been tests on this and if I remember correctly you would actually have to route your piping almost the whole length of the car before you would see power drop. I thought the same thing until I was corrected.

Katie
This is interesting, but I'm not just talking about a peak power drop. I think you could sit in traffic for 15 min. and heatsoak the crap out of the pipe over the exh. mani and the core, but once you get going and get not only air flowing over the front of the core, but through the pipes, thus absorbing the heat of the pipe and transmitting it to the core, there would be virtually no difference. But what about when you don't care about peak power? What if *gasp* you're not a drag racer and you care about throttle response, the shape of the torque curve when you don't have a lot of flow but high load, such as autocrossing? It's things like these where I would think that a short route is better. But, I'm not an engineer, and I've never done any quantitative testing in this area. Katie, do you happen to have any links or pointers to these tests you speak of?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned