The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Phantom Knock

The_Big_Weave

Got so tired of it I just grounded the sensor and removed it from the block. Any one else done this? I have a logger, went back to fully stock and still knocked but only in low RPMS. No knock ever in the high RPMS. Is this ok?

Also with every thing stock I run around 10.5-11.1 for AFR, is this normal?

might be a slight bs bearing knock, rod knock, piston slap. something so light that you cant hear yet. i never had it reading knock when i unplugged it. in fact, when i unplugged it, 4 months later i myself had bs bearing spin out of the block. something is def loose in there.

CSMShaun

Phantom knock does not definitely mean that you have piston slap or a bad bearing of any kind. Can be due to a wide variety of reasons other than mechanical problems in the reciprocating assembly.

The target AFR in the stock ECU table is 10.1:1 under WOT and above somewhere around 3k RPM. So what you are seeing is what is to be expected.

The_Big_Weave

I recently rebuilt the motor and put 2g pistons in. I don't that we should jump to harsh conclusions like a spun bearing just yet. The only thing I have done to remove the knock is 3g lifters, but they were from a 99 gst and they had 120k on them.

prove_it

I see phantom knock in my car every now and then. Sometimes just shifting the trans causes a light knock to be seen. Like mentioned before, lots of things can be causing the "knock". Check the ecu ignition retard during the knock event. Post what you find.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned