The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with knock. (Making progress)

LIV4PSI

So it was the SAFC after all, huh?

turbowop

Or it's the coding in the new chip. Maybe it has a smoothed out timing map, which is what gives 1g guys a lot of issues with knock, since it ramps up to like 24degrees at around 6k. I really don't think the SAFC was the issue. He wasn't making large enough changes to cause those kind of knock issues.

James

Yea I don't think it had anything to do with the SAFC. Actually I know it didn't because my first drive around I didn't have it zeroed out and everything was still gravy. The knock sensor is picking up SOMETHING that it shouldn't, the chip takes care of that so I'm good. For now ...

Also when doing some monthly checkups on the car I noticed my vac line from the wastegate to the Jpipe was split in half. That fixed 99% of my boost creeping.

LIV4PSI

I'm glad to hear you are getting everything all ironed out.

big_d

I burnt the chip and did the ECU work for James. I did in fact smooth out the timing map to take out the nasty 23+ degree peak around 5-6k that the 1g/gvr4's had..and went a little more conservative (closer mirroring the 2g timing map). With massaged fuel/timing maps, I think it will suit that 14b quite will. Any ECU/chip work you guys need, hit me up.

Last edited:

James

Bid_d came through for me that's for sure. And it package showed up in 2days! The tracking number showed it wouldn't be here till tomorrow haha

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned