The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tuning help

frank1

I am new at this but the first thing i noticed is that i get lots of knock after 5000rpms
Also sometimes my o2 0.67V on the logger on high rpms

my mods are 680cc, SAFC, Loger, 255 walbro fuel pump bastard 20g
FMIC 3IN TBE chiped ecu from a guy from yahoo groups

basicily i get no knock until 5000rpms and up boosting 15psi 10counts and up timing is 10°~20° on the high
IDC is btw 76%@5100rpm 86 ~91% to red line
my base fuel pressuse is at 38.5psi vac deattached
I dont understand why my injectors are almost maxed out

Also i might have phantom knock but not on low rpms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I added 10%fuel with the safc on the high throtle from 5k to 7k
the knock went from 20~23 to 9~10
the car still feels bad though
I know I need to get A wideband and I will I just need some input on this situation

thanks

turbowop

9-10 counts of knock isn't that bad. Hard to say without a wideband if adding more fuel will help, but it looks like it was running a bit lean if you added some already and that helped. The narrowband showed lean readings, but I don't trust that for WOT tuning. Make sure your base timing at idle is set no higher than 5degrees, or you can go a little lower (like 2-3 degrees) to try to combat the knock issue.

Brianawd

You really need to get a wideband. Now to know if you are getting really knock you need to drop the boost down say 3-5psi. If the knock goes away then its real. If it does not then most likely it PK. Now if it real try and take few degs out of your base timing. That will help with the stupid high timing mitsu has for 5-6k

Is your motor stock compression? Have you checked the base timing lately, with a timing light, as per the VFAQ? If you have knock at only 15psi, you either have too much base timing, or a poorly designed chip (you get what you pay for).

frank1

I am on the stock compression As far as the base timing I havent checked I also cosidering to rewire my fuel pump see if that would help

Kind of going out on a limb here, but is it possible that maybe you could have a clogged fuel filter causing it to lean out in the higher rpms? Do you have any stats on the ecu or chip that you received from the guy on the yahoo group?

The pump supplies plenty of fuel for only 15psi. Check the timing, and make sure it is set for 5* BTDC.

frank1

*update*

Pulled timing to 2* ,Rewire my fuel pump

the car runs rich pig rich knock has gone from to 10counts to 1 or 2 here and there on the high rpms 15psi
the crapy thing about all this is that now it runs rich timing is still all *exmple* 5675rpm,IDC 78% knock 1 timing 45* :hmm:
them the logger died no more battery is that normal for timing to be all that high ?
on the butt dyno it feels better on the high On the low it feels slugish rich ..
My wideband is on the way its just hard to get a good log when the batteries are dieing

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts