The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with knock. (Making progress)

turbowop

Yes, adjusting an SAFC can indirectly affect timing. If you're making large changes, adding airflow can put you into a lower timing map, and subtracting airflow can put you into a higher timing map.

James

Timing is set at 5, boost is WG pressure so about 10 psi. No change today. And I'm not using a 1g Maf I'm using a 2g. Getting the Safc was the suggestion from this very forum lol. 550cc inj 2g Maf and Safc to get the small tweaking between the two.

ktmrider

Quoting James:
Getting the Safc was the suggestion from this very forum lol.

Yes that's why I said TEL/DSM/GVR4.

Interweb is just too saturated with heresay and bad advice. Heck the rumor for most Subaru and EVO site users is 20% aren't old enough to drive and another 40% don't own a vehicle and/or lie about mods. Actual owners generally have no clue how to even wrench. Many go on other sites then regurgitate info elsewhere to "appear" legit. And onward.

Put your car back to stock as much as possible ( injectors, MAF, ECU, boost, etc ). Get it running right then and only then MOD it right, ie Link or custom chip and related support items.

James

Posted a WTB for socketed EPROM hopefully with a chip already fitting my needs

Who's the big name chip maker these days? Noticed keydiver no longer makes em when I visited his site the other day.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

I don't think the SAFC is the problem here. Do you have a WB o2 sensor? I'd like to see your AFR when it's knocking 45.

James

I did. I had a PLX setup but the black box that goes to the sensor and to the gauge busted. I don't think it's my AFR since I can do a WOT pull with 0-5 counts of knock. I'm looking for a decent arm wideband setup ATM

James

Made a little progress. Did some freereving testing today. Slowly reving from idle up to 3k. Looking at the logger I noticed that every time the knock jumped to 40+ at 1900rpms every time. And dropped back to 0 at 2500rpms.

I feel as if this is a pretty big discovery in the problem.

Note: so people don't think I'm just asking for help and not doing any thing. I'm talking to a guy about a EPROM ECU with a chip for my setup, talking to a friend about a fuelpump and AFPR, and a third guy about a wideband setup.

Now I just need a 4th to hand me a $1000 check.

matt92vr4

Glad you are making progress. If you are willing to drop a grand, go with the ECMLINK v3.

Now I'd like to see some loaded WOT pulls starting above 2500rpm to see what happens.

Last edited:

James

Link isn't on the list of plans for his car. It's not getting any bigger than the 14b and it will probably never see about 16psi.

Before i can do a real Wot pull I need to either...
A) get my fuel mods and turn up the boost to alleviate boost creep/fuel cut
B) pull the o2 and port it out

Now I've gotten pretty good and feathering the gas to redline to keep the boost around 10-12psi but I don't think that's going to give the most accurate readings

matt92vr4

Even with a stock turbo, a properly tuned speed density system will produce significant HP gains.

turbowop

I personally feel a MAF based system is better for a daily driver, and is the reason I ran SD in 1051 and a 2gMaf in 503. Both had ECMlink V3. Less constant tweaking needed. You won't make enough extra power on a small turbo to be worth the hassle, IMO.

That said, ECMlink would help tons with tuning regardless of what type of air metering you run, whether small turbo or large. I would try to find a used V2 as they can be had just over $200 usually.

Last edited:

5OF2k

Personally, I've never had issues with DD'ing my car, which is SD tuned on AEM, and I drive upwards of 60miles a day... I never have to tweak it either, and the only times I've even connected it to a laptop were to log, and to check the idle parameters and cold-start parameters.... But thats just me I suppose....?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Jake

matt92vr4

That's interesting WOP, I have the exact opposite experience with SD builds. They always run great and put down about 15% more HP than MAF builds with the same goodies. I've only done 2 ECMLINK though, the rest of mine have been AEM and I had an AWD dyno so that may have helped a bit.

turbowop

Don't get me wrong. I love SD. 1051 runs great with it and I'm sure DDing with it would be fine, but I constantly tinker with my VE map. Maybe I should have tried it on 503 before I sold it. All I needed was a IAT sensor since I already had a MAP and WB for logging. Either way, for the OP, I think that's a bit out there. Not only would he need V3, he would also need to invest in a MAP/IAT and get it all wired up. He already has a 2gMaf, so in my mind, it's better to get it running right with that before moving on.

James

EPROM ordered with chip for 2gmaf 550cc injectors and ignore knock under 1psi

matt92vr4

Are you using the AFC Neo? I just remembered when they first came out they were all messed up. If you are using one from the original batch they can blow up your engine. I lost 3 engines from these POS's.

James

safc2

James

New ECU and chip is installed! Knock is all gone. Ran her up to redline with no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fuel pump and AFPR are on the way also! Next paycheck is wideband and MBC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned