The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

over oiling a Ball bearing

From what I have read and experienced with my BB turbo, if you don't use an orfice you will blow the seals in the turbo, as far as knocking the bearings out, I really don't think that it would. And when a seal blows in a BB turbo, you know it. It blows more smoke then Digit does. J/K Digit, LOL.

464/2K

ya this turbo doesnt blow smoke at all.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif to the digit comment

Luke

Is the BOV working and bypassing/venting enough air to keep the turbo spooled between shifts ?

turbowop

Quote:
I haven't heard that, but logically that makes sense. Has anyone heard anything bad about using a banjo like this vs. a restrictor right at the turbo?

The banjo bolt I got from FP for my 3052 has the smaller hole to restrict oil flow to the turbo. Been working fine for almost two years now. FWIW, I also don't use an inline filter.

mistaVR4

Thanks Mark! Thats what I wanted to hear, do you think the filter could be overkill as far as reducing oil press. to much? Or will that also be a good idea to put inline?

Feeding the turbo from the head wont require the use of a restrictor. I have an oil pressure sender coming off that port and oil pressure doesn't exceed 25 psi.

turbowop

Quote:
Thanks Mark! Thats what I wanted to hear, do you think the filter could be overkill as far as reducing oil press. to much? Or will that also be a good idea to put inline?

I bought my 3052 used off a buddy who only put about 800miles on the turbo, so since I didn't buy it new, the warranty that FP provides if you use an inline filter is moot. I use good Wix filters and change my oil often enough that I don't feel the filter should be necessary.

91GVR4

From what I have read an inline filter is just another weak point. I beleave Jeff O.(keydiver) had issues with his clogging and toasting the turbo. Of course the same junk that clogged the filter would have toasted the turbo bearings. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I have been running my SBR GT10 for two years now with no glitches. Oil feed is from head with no in-line filter. Hope that helps some.

mistaVR4

Most definitely! Thanks to both of you! I think I'm going to leave the filter off the line, especially since I have the FP restrictor bolt, I guess there is no need to over do it.

So, is the inline filter they sell meant more for being inline on an unrestricted line from either the filter housing or the head on a non-BB turbo?

bazeng

the inline filter would be very difficult to clog up in my opinion..

the filter element is not fine enough unless u have some seriously large metal flakes or dirt in your oil!

the filter element can be compared to fly screen mesh... so its there to prevent larger foreign objects makits its way to the turbo...

beaner

Quoting mistaVR4:
I'm getting ready to slap a BB turbo on my car and here is a pic of the modded feed bolt for the head (see much smaller feed hole) I'm also going to run the FP 10 micron in-line filter on the feed line.

Has this been working for you? What size dill bit did you use? I'm about to run a 35r and have made my own banjo bolts before, so this looks like the solution for me. I will be feeding from the head.

AWDnot2

It wouldn't be a bad idea to use the filter for a day or so. Esp if the motor was rebuilt.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned