The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Pressure with removed balance shafts and ball bearing turbo

MX4

Hi all,
Who out there (I think turbowop is one) has removed their balance shafts and are running a garrett ball bearing turbo? I will be in this situation shortly and from what I have read as soon as the balance shafts are removed the oil pressure will increase. The increased oil pressure is then too great for the garrett ball bearing turbo (even with the .040 restrictor in place). So from the research I have done there are two options.

[*]Port the oil filter housing
[*]Change the oil filter housing spring
[/list]

Does anyone have any feedback or ideas for me on which way to go to resolve this.

Cheers!!!
Ryan

omertaitalia

they bought a restrictor. ill let them chime in and be more specific but if you call jnz tuming im sure they will know exactly what you need

slugsgomoo

Buy the appropriate restrictor. I run my turbo from the oil filter housing rather than the head, personally.

MX4

Yeah but from what I understand even with the restrictor in place the oil pressure is still too high.

turbowop

It's been about seven years since I went from an FPgreen to an FP3052 so I might not remember totally correctly. I called FP at the time and asked them what to do. If I recall, they sold me an oil line that feeds from the head and still has a restrictor in it. And I got a line that doesn't have a filter. I fed my FPgreen from the OFH, but changed that to the head for the ball bearing turbo since that's what FP suggested.

It's worth noting that I don't have a "complete balance shaft removal". I left the front shaft in with no belt and replaced the rear shaft with a stubby. So no more oil flow feeding the rear shaft bearings obviously, but since the front shaft is still there, oil still flows from the bearing feed. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes to pressure with the shaft not spinning though. I also never ported my oil pressure relief valve. Rolling down the freeway at close to 4000rpm I see about 70-75psi oil pressure.

Last edited:

MX4

Thats the info Im after thanks wop. Ill copy your setup and see how the oil pressure is after its done. Will report back once for everyones info down the track.

prove_it

In my opinion I say port the housing anyway. You won't cause any negative issues. It's way easier to do it now and have it "ready" in case pressure were too high. Don't get crazy and you'll be ok. Even if the pressure is fine and you didn't need to do it, it's still done and will help anyway. It's good insurance. Don't mess with the spring as you can change that if needed when everything is assembled.

dsmless

All my 4g63 engines have had balance shafts deleted, and a mild port on the ofh releif hole, just opened it up a out 1/8" all around. I have feed all my BB turbos from the head (3076r, fp3056 and currently a 3071r) the trick is to use a restrictor and mount it in the head, that way you avoid "squirting" oil into the turbo center cartridge as this will happen if you put the restrictor on the turbo. You want a constant "flow" to it not a constant jet stream hitting it.

DSSA

Quoting prove_it:
In my opinion I say port the housing anyway. You won't cause any negative issues. It's way easier to do it now and have it "ready" in case pressure were too high. Don't get crazy and you'll be ok. Even if the pressure is fine and you didn't need to do it, it's still done and will help anyway. It's good insurance. Don't mess with the spring as you can change that if needed when everything is assembled.

^ This.

Your turbo isn't the only thing affected by high oil pressure.

Feeding from the head will give you lower pressure to the turbo than the oil filter housing (remember that it's somewhat restricted by the feed from the block to the head and at the oil pressure regulator contained in the head itself), but that doesn't solve pressure issues elsewhere in the engine.

Josh

turbowop

I agree. Porting the relief was a relatively new thing back when I deleted my balance shafts, so I didn't think to do it. Given the same opportunity today, I would go ahead and do it.

vr4play

When I built my first engine I didn't know about porting the OFH and I had well over 100 psi of oil pressure anything over 5k rpm. I was worried about blowing out the seals in the engine so I ported the OFH and it went back to normal. I run a BB turbo and feed it from the head with no issues. I originally had it on the OFH and it would leak a little oil past the seals into the intake.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned