The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2 turbos in a month????

turbowop

How modified is this car? Do you run a catch can?

Reason I ask is because freezing weather will do weird things to catch can setups. The fluid that is in the can and lines can freeze and cause the turbo "seals" to let oil by due to the crankcase ventilation being compromised.

Last edited:

number936

I do run a catch can. But I'd be amazed if that could cause the sheer volume of oil that's coming out. I will check the lines and see how full the catch can is...

As to how modded it is, it's got a walbro 255, an aeromotive FPR, lower shores mbc, 2g O2 housing and full 3" exhaust.

turbowop

I was amazed when mine did it. I had oil coming out of the flex section of the downpipe. It all started when the temps got really cold a couple winters ago. I ended up putting the crankcase ventilation system back to stock, since I use the car as a daily and for ski trips in cold weather.

mikus

Quote:
I'd be amazed if that could cause the sheer volume of oil that's coming out. I will check the lines and see how full the catch can is...

Just to clarify Mark's saying the oil seal in the turbo's rotating assembly would be pushed out of place by excessive crankcase pressure - oil can leave pretty quickly this way. Note this can be intermittant

The cause is an inability to vent off said pressure, ie. clogged catchcan, or the forementioned stuck PCV valve.

number936

Quoting turbowop:
I was amazed when mine did it. I had oil coming out of the flex section of the downpipe. It all started when the temps got really cold a couple winters ago. I ended up putting the crankcase ventilation system back to stock, since I use the car as a daily and for ski trips in cold weather.

I will definitely look into it. This thing honestly isn't behaving at all like it did the last time the turbo failed. I have absolutely no blue smoke, and the charge pipes are much cleaner than the exhaust side. It's just oil pouring into the downpipe.

mikus

It could be quite related - there'se an oil seal on each side of the turbo. If the cold side popped, oil would run into the intercooler & on to combustion. if the hotside popped it'd run out the exhaust.

Oil on top of the valve cover could have been pushed out the dipstick tube, another sign of excessive pressure. Is the underhood oily, does your dipstick pop out?

Before you pull the turbo you might want to try routing the PCV line back into the IM. It would reduce crankcase pressure and *maybe* help alleviate turbo seal issues. However if the cause is something other than the catchcan Eg. ring issues, this will push excessive oil into the intake. You'd know quickly, it'd smoke lots. I'd try it before I swapped a turbo, just be prepared for the result. And always use OEM PCV.

EDIT: where are you feeding oil from? forgot to ask that

Last edited:

number936

The dipstick didn't pop out that I recall.

I'm feeding oil from the factory (I think) location on the front passenger side of the head.

I'll do a compression test while I'm in there this weekend. Seeing the price of used 14b's, I'm not too opposed to pulling the turbo (at least its still fresh in my head!) I just don't want to have another one pop.

Are there any guidelines as to what kind of oil pressure the turbo needs at idle? I'm sure the cold start and subsequent idling for 15-20 minutes would be enough to kill seals if it wasn't oiling adequately.

Sorry for asking all these questions that could probably be answered with a little bit of searching, but between work and school, I only get about 5 min at a time to log on.

number936

Well my catch can is a block of ice. It's currently thawing. Running the car with the PCV hoses disconnected has slowed the leaking considerably, and what is coming out might just be what was left over.

I'll put the PCV system back to stock and see of it clears up completely.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting number936:
Well my catch can is a block of ice. It's currently thawing. Running the car with the PCV hoses disconnected has slowed the leaking considerably, and what is coming out might just be what was left over.

I'll put the PCV system back to stock and see of it clears up completely.

I told you the car wasnt the problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

What is really messed up is that this is probably EXACTLY what happen to #237 after I bought it. I went to go drive to school on a *really* cold morning and I blew tons of smoke out the exhaust. Turns out crazy amounts of oil was flowing past the turbo's compressor seals into the intake. And I had an aftermarket case breather setup. This would also explain why I blew out ever seal on the engine. I thought the *turbo* was blowing boost into the crank case. Sounds like the case vent system was just frozen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mikus

^ as well, line condensation can run back into the block and contaminate your oil, oil looks just like a blown HG.

Not one of those things people think about, +10pts wop

number936

Quoting turbowop:
You owe me a beer for saving you from a turbo purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's for sure!

I drove it in to work today and after smoking when taking off at a couple stop signs, she cleared up and is running pretty good now. Still a couple of things to check out, but I think the turbo is fine. There is a little too much air moving through the PCV fittings for my liking though. I'll have to look into that. Hopefully I'm done doing big fixes for a while. At least until spring when I can drive my other car if I have to.

I just blew the stock 1991 galant turbo the other day... Oil pump seized, balance shaft barrings melted to shaft, oil blew out of dip stick, turbo fried (no oil), T-belt and BS-belt stripped, timing skipped but no bent valves, engine barrings are good...

Being new to this car, I was curious which turbos are a direct fit with no mods? Torn between the quick easy/cheap fix; or upgrade while Im already messin with it...

I believe mine is the 14b if I am not mistaken (stock)
btw found rebuilt 14b for 150 already

Appreciate any support on this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned