The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil leak due to cold weather

Great news! I added a cheap check valve to the line going from the intake manifold to the PCV valve to prevent boost from pressurizing the crankcase.

If your oil pressure is over 100 psi constantly then I would definitely pull the oil filter housing and port the oil pressure relief hole. I have blown oil filters off previous DSM's due to high oil pressure. The relief valve opens at 80 psi so if your oil pressure stays at that then you are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

14u2nV

At wot, pressure pegs. I've got a catchcan so extra pressure should be released there

turbowop

If the contents of the can froze in the super cold weather and effectively sealed the crankcase, all sorts of neat things can happen...dipsticks blow out, seals blow out, turbos start smoking, etc.

This happened on 503 a couple years ago during a nasty cold snap and I ended up replacing the turbo thinking it was the problem. Turned out the catch can was full and frozen. Since I use this as a ski rig and daily car, I went back to the stock PCV system.

Last edited:

14u2nV

Hoses comeinto/ out of the can near the top, so it would have to be overfull to do that, but along with what u are saying, I'll bet the fluid still in the hoses going to the can froze. Good suggestion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Time to route them so they drain better.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned