The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cold weather = no start?

jesus_ralliart

So, i know its not for my gvr4 but I figure id post up if it happens to help someone out if an answer is posted. Anyhow, on to the story..

Yesterday, my bro tried to move his 198-something Mercedes diesel and he cranked it and nothing. The car had all the electrical working but the car didnt turn over. Anyhow, my question is : Does cold weather affect the battery in a way where it wouldn't start? It seems somewhat possible but I never considered it, nor have I had a problem with it.

Also, would be curious to know if its a problem that could possibly affect the vr4 since its been well below freezing here in north jersey. And, if so, what can be done to have the car turn over(Either the mercedes or a vr4)?

vr4play

If the battery is weak cold weather will kill it. Diesels have really high compression and require a lot of juice to get them turned over. Usually diesels should have a block heater when it is really cold helps cold start quite a bit. Diesels don't like cold weather in general especially older ones. The newer ones aren't as bad. As for the galant just make sure the coolant is good for really cold weather and that the oil isn't too thick and that the battery is in good shape.

jesus_ralliart

ill ask him if he got it running when i see him again. I know the car has glow plugs which warm up for like 5 sec before he fires the car up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts