The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil leak due to cold weather

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well that is definitely a pressurized passage.

14u2nV

I could have sworn I've read that you could just cut the bs belt and be ok. I have to have this done tonight, and don't have a bs elim kit. if nothing else, I guess I can scavenge the belt and pulley off of my other engine.

On a side note; this pulley was put on lip inside, on my other engine the lip is on the outside, which is right?

14u2nV

Do you guys think I could get by running without the belt till next week? I have to drive it to work, and I can order the kit tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

*got the bs pulley off, seal was inside the pulley, not even close to being where it's supposed to be. Looks brand new though, no damage, must have just popped out.

Last edited:

turbowop

When I had a bad leak behind the timing cover on 503 it turned out to be the seal behind the oil pump pulley. When I went to pull out the old one, it just fell out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I replaced all three while I was in there and it's been nice and dry for a couple years since.

Do you not have anything else to drive. I would definitely want to do the BSE, or just replace the seal and put it all back together. I don't understand what was wobbling. Was something just loose?

Cutting the belt to leave the front shaft dead is fine, but that rear shaft will continue to spin since it's driven by the oil pump. You could probably get by if need be, but it's not really the proper way to go about it.

14u2nV

I just need it to hold me until next wed/thurs (my next days off). My truck is down with a h/g failure, so this is my ride. I can put a bse kit in on those days. The wobble was the bs idler pulley. I think it was installed backwards.

jepherz

Staff member
I ran one of my cars for months with just the balance shaft belt removed. Not recommended, definitely not for long, but it won't kill anything.

Adorsey

Good to hear. Glad it was not something major.

I just picked up this spacer for the bs belt pulley. Pretty cool for 6$

14u2nV

So in the end, do you think this was actually caused by the cold or just a random coincidence?

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Terry Posten:
You can't just run one BS. And the "dead" one would still flop around.

You either have to fix it or remove both the shafts and do a BSE job.

I have run without the front balance shaft belt for several years & about forty thousand mi. It shouldn't hurt a thing, if someone can give me a reason it will I am all ears otherwise I can think of no reason. My engine has only a slight amount of vibration over stock. And yes i still have the rear shaft in play.

moduleunknown

I guess you could consider yourself lucky since that's an easy seal to replace, meaning you don't need to remove the timing belt.

I just replaced that seal as well. My car was leaving puddles of oil which I traced back to there.

If you wouldn't mind, when you replace that seal - I have a question regarding the spacer that slides on to the end of the front balance shaft, sitting in the center of the seal. One side has a straight cut edge while the other side is beveled. I'm wondering which side faces in (or out for that matter). I didn't remember when it came time to put it back on so I checked two different engines I had access to and that piece was installed both ways. I'm wondering if it even matters which side faces in/out...

The beveled side of the space goes in towards the seal. It's to lessen the possibility of damaging the seal during installation.

If you installed it incorrectly but didn't damage the oil seal you are fine.

Here's the illustration from the service manual:

14u2nV

I could see the imprint from the pulley on my spacer so it was easy.

14u2nV

well, something else isn't right. it's been acting funny since I got it back together, and tonight it sprayed oil all over the engine bay, from the belts. I'm not taking it apart again, I think this is the last straw. Be watching for it for sale soon, I give up on galants.

dmj

I know these cars can be a pain in the ass and your wallet also.but you can't give up just like that for just an oil leak. Just think much faster you will be able to repair it this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

I have never seen oil spray over the engine bay from a leak under the timing cover if the upper timing belt cover is installed.

I would ensure that the crankcase isn't being pressurized from a failed PCV valve. That could cause the dipstick to blow out which would spray oil all over the engine bay. It would also cause seals to leak oil due to the pressure.

Buy a dye kit and a blacklight. Take off the timing cover but leave the timing belt on. Start the car and shine the blacklight on the timing belt area and look for where the dye is leaking. You'll have about 5 minutes without the water pump spinning to find the leak.

Good luck with resolving the problem!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Kenny,

The level of oil loss you are experiencing doesn't sound like a simple seal problem ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Did you re-install the front balance shaft tensioner pulley and it's thru bolt?

Even though you aren't needing it as part of the belt system, it's thru bolt pinches the front cover down to the block. Directly behind that bolt in the cover are two passages machined into the cover that convey the pressurised oil to/from the filter housing. If that bolt isn;t there pinching sh*t down, a massive oil leak will result.

Another possibility is directly related to the fact you're running the '90 model year engine.

The '90 housing/front cover has a poorly designed passageway that required an external plug, and I've seen that plug displaced by the insanely high oil pressures that can occur during a cold winter start-up. It's located at the top of the housing towards the rear. Clean the area well and run the engine to see if that is where it's leaking.

It should also be noted that you must have the crank dampner/pulley on the engine when you run it. The t-belt can walk right off the crank gear and that can result in really bad sh*t happening.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

14u2nV

ok, after calming down and reading your posts, I feel better. Dipstick was sticking out, whew! I did not install the pulley, but did put a smaller bolt in. I swapped out the 90 ofh for a 91+ while the engine was out. Maybe my 80+ psi pressure is too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned