The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil in pipes

ok pulled the filter pipes off and heres oil in them. wonder if thats why its smoking and not the turbo where could that come from.

raptorWagon

It's normal for there to be some oil in your intercooler piping, that is from the Valve Cover ventilator Valve (VCV) and PCV valve recirculating any oil from the crank case back into the intake system. Now if there is an excessive amount of oil then that is bad. You're turbo could still be smoking if the oil seals in that are shot. Is there any oil on the bottom of the turbo if you look underneath?

91vr4394

How much oil...my old 14b had some shaft play..but i was getting a bunch of oil in my icp..so i bought my 16g..now very little oil in icp...

its enough to wipe my finger in and notice it or its just builtup over time.

524of1000

It builds up over time. It CAN clog your IC over time, and a catch can will solve the problem, if it bothers you enough to warrent the purchase of one.

broxma

The catch can of course just a band aid for the symptom, not a cure for the problem.

If the PCV valve is clogged/busted the excess pressure will go out the VC side into the intake which since you mentioned the filter pipe I assume you mean pre-turbo. If the oil is before the turbo this would indicate a PCV issue like I described. If it is only after the turbo, the an oil seal is more likely. It is not as likely for oil to go backwards through the turbo into the compressor side and up the intake tract unless there is a critical failure, explosion. Petrol clean the pipes, replace the PCV and see if the problem persists. This is the cheapest possible solution.

In addition, when is it smoking? Idle, cruise, in boost? Does it get worse from one condition to the other, cruise to boost, or idle to moving? does it go away under any of these conditions?

/brox

Last edited:

yes before the turbo culd tht cause the smok ad not the turbo maybe its a long shot but. The car was not smoking at all when i bought it and i drove it like 40 miles home and now it smokes when ideling and stops when driving t

mikus

Blatent disregard of proper sentence structure can cause turbo seals to blow out.

AnotherNewb

I warned you about grammer. See how fast your post get answered when others have to run it through a decoder ring to make any sense of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. Tis aint no honduh fourum dowg... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My bad man look i was a sodier for 5 years just got out of the army. Im trying man ill clean it up.

turbowop

Quoting AnotherNewb:
I warned you about grammer.

Perhaps you should warn him about his grammar instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

raptorWagon

Wait, that "I was in the Army for 5 years" doesn't work here, when we have both current and former Army as well as the other branches on this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

AnotherNewb

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting AnotherNewb:
I warned you about grammer.

Perhaps you should warn him about his grammar instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thanks Wop...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

mikus

BTW - get the OEM PCV valve. Any aftermarket will fail in short time, if not out of the box.

If you plan on having the car for a while, you might consider getting two. It's handy to have a fresh one available for quick troubleshooting.

Diego

Quoting jdm2k1:
yea but i idnt do anything besides that so iam a little rusty in grammer.

Again, that's juat an excuse, did you come from new birth to super sayon soldier and skip school all together?

Still just do what is listed above replace the pcv, and or buy a catch can.... yes a bandaid to the real problem, but hey your in auto school, you have more then enough support from the school and instructors, your questions can and may be answered in here but if you are at an institution USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE, YOUR TEACHERS (instructors) can PIN POINT your problems, faster and more accurate then us. As they can see,hear,feel the problem and they will instruct you on what should be takin into consideration.

Just my .02, and not to be a dick at all my friend, but that is WHAT I WOULD DO.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned