The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil light coning on???

coolclean577

Hi guys just seen if anyone know why the oil light would come on I got oil in it full. So what would make this happen. The mods I got is just a small 16g and hks filter. And 15pounds for boost.. Running 10 30 for oil. And it my dd so just don't want to check on this problem. Thanks for your time guys . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

steve

You don't want to check on this problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Agreed with the previous poster, is it happening at idle or while driving? I bet your oil pressure is dropping low enough to trigger the light coming on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Oil lights are always for lack of PRESSURE, not volume. Either your switch is bad, or your pump isn't generating enough pressure.

coolclean577

Its coming on when I drive sometimes and then I make turns. and when it idleing. I made sure everthing plug in. It comes on for like 2 sec and it goes off .

coolclean577

Just don't want it to blow when I'm drive it bec it is my dd. It was 109k on body and it as 5k on motor was rebuild at 102k form frist owner.

Dan D

If it comes on when you turn, you are possibly low on oil. When the oil sloshes to one side or the other during a turn, the pickup can become starved momentarily. This causes a drop in pressure until the pickup becomes submerged again.

If it's coming on under other non-idle conditions, you may have a serious problem

coolclean577

I check the fuild and it full. I'm about a 1000 mile for a new oil change change it every 3k. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

coolclean577

I wonder if it could be bec I change the oil for 5 30 to 10 30? Bec I bought it with 10 30 and I change it out to 5 30 for the summer and now it coming winter so I change it back to 10 30. Don't know if that could mess up the senor?

HHIVR4

I had that problem a few years ago.Light would come on after about 30-45 seconds of idling but as soon as I touched the gas it would go off.Turned out the pressure switch was bad.
Check your oil pressue with the car at operating temp and make sure its holding 10psi or greater at idle.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting CoolClean577:
I wonder if it could be bec I change the oil for 5 30 to 10 30? Bec I bought it with 10 30 and I change it out to 5 30 for the summer and now it coming winter so I change it back to 10 30. Don't know if that could mess up the senor?

you should be running oil the other way around, thicker in the summer.

coolclean577

I was always told 5.30 in summer and 10 30 in winter. Bec if you look on the sun viscor it says the same . But its say to change your oil every 5k too. So idk

Last edited:

Jesh

+1 ^ you should run a thinner oil in the winter for easier startups. And a thicker oil in the summer for better engine protection. I can tell you from experience it really makes a difference when its -30F outside.

Check the bottom of your oil pan for dents also. A partially blocked oil pump pickup would cause pressure issues.

It's most likely the oil pressure sender in the front of the oil filter housing.

89Mirageman

FYI, Rockauto has the sensor on sale for $3.

Edit: nevermind, I believe you need the switch, not the sensor.

Last edited:

misfitsnemesis

Think you just solved my random CEL that comes on the same way u described. My DSMlink dont pick up any CEL off of it though when it does happen.

turbofonz

^ DSMlink doesn't pick up anything related to the oil light, but your light is likely from coolant temperature. See where it's set to come on under "dash" on DSMlink. Does the light sort of flicker on... and flicker off, vs. solid on, solid off?

coolclean577

Flicker on and off. Got coolant it full. And oil full I drove it today and it has not came on at all day . But going to check more on it tommorrow and weekend . Just 1st time I seen it come on . Running non eprom ecu for now until I get a new eprom ecu cheap. Bec I burnt. Throw 3 ecu bec of my mpi senor was bad. Bec prev. Owner put my fuel pump on a switch. But got a new mpi senor. And off switch and runs great for the most part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

coolclean577

Update. Light still has not came on today great but now . When I was driving today my front cv broke so I went to advance autoparts today and got a new one put it on . Went in like great no problem. Drove back to the store to return my core . Got half way back to my house and now my tranfercase went out . So now got to get it home and take it apart . So now look for a 23 spine tranfercase. Got some parts to trade for a good one pm me to let me know

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts