The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head job

Ok, so iam pulling the head at school and heres the questions i have. i have pulled the mani and turbo off in one peice its still hanging on by the oil feed line where is the best place to disconnect this. also when i get the head off where can i get the valvetrain? I am wanting just a reliable car with just around stock boost just looking for some input about doing what to do with the head. Also i need to check the turbo for shaft play how exactly do i do this? also i need to clean up the turbo if it is good how do you recomend to do that. I also wanna maybe go up to a slightly larger cams what kind do you guys suggest for a just a little over stock set up. ok then when im pulling off the timing cover how do you get all the pullys off do you just take off the bolts or what thanks. will get pics tommorow

AnotherNewb

I have had some good luck with eBay valves, just be sure to check the guides to make sure they are not cracked, if so order a valve kit with the guides (save you some time when your machine shop tells you that you need them)

Just unbolt the oil feed line from the head, pull the coolant lines off at the rubbers. Don't forget to unbolt the oil drain tube from the bottom of the turbo (or oil pan).

To check your turbo's shaft play, just grab the shaft and see if it wiggles. A LITTLE up and down is normal, in and out not so much. Since you have the turbo out, pull the hot side off by removing the band clamp, 10mm I think. Be sure to inspect the hot side housing for any cracks that go all the way through, as well as the waste gate flapper. Some cracks are normal. Look at your turbine wheel and make sure that there are no broken fins and behind the wheel to make sure that the oil isn't so coked that it pushed the plate into the turbine wheel.
If your going to rebuild your turbo, be sure to mark the shaft and compressor wheel and shaft so when you put it back together it goes together the same.

When you go to clean the bearing cartridge you will more than likely be dealing with a lot of coking, just take your time with a flat tip and get as much as you can off.

As for bigger cams, 264's seem to be the smallest anyone offers. Since you have your head off, take the time to port match the intake and head, find a 2g exhaust manifold and port it out also (1g exhaust manifolds are very prone to cracking).

The water pump pulley is 4 10mm bolts, the harmonic balancer is 4 12mm? bolts. Don't worry about the big bolt with the 1/2 in square slot, the just holds the crank gear in. And the rest is just 10mm bolts holding the cover on.

Hope this helps

Diego

Jdm give me a call. Let's knock all your problems out in one shot. 712 389 4004... as I know/see your having sooo many problems

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts