The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil blowing out after driving?

turboneon

ok ill let the pictures do most of the explaining but basically the back of the trans under the throttle body has a good amount of oil on it after i drive it. I cant for the life of me figure out where its coming from. I even made a make shift catch can off the valve cover bc i thought thats where most of the oil was coming from. Any input would be greatly apprecaited!!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I would suggest moving this to the newbie discussion forum.
The mods will have to take care of that function.

Get a couple of cans of engine degreaser, and liberally spray the back side of the motor.
Hose it off, repeat.

Now add an oil dye suitable for engine oil, that will fluoresce when you shine a white light on it. Yellow ski goggles or the like will work with this too.

Start your engine and check it out. Let it idle and look for the new wet glow.

Don't go driving around with that much oil coming out of the engine, my suggestion.

turboneon

so i did just find that this plug is missing! Anyone know where i can get a new one? cant even find it in the manual. i sure do hope that its the main culprit.

its gear oil not engine oil

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You will need that. It would be a vent for the transaxle fluid.

Jacks transmission is a listed carrier for that part in the thread here:

DSM Tuners thread for missing transaxle vent

Get a new crush washer to replace the one on the end of the 17mm head bolt that is in place for the trans fill hole on the front of the casing, radiator side.

Make sure you are topping up with a specific GL-4 fluid only, not GL-5 grade fluid.

If you don't know as to yet, what is in the sump of the trans, then buy 4 bottles of GL-4 grade fluid. Find a local Redline MT90 GL-4 and call it a day. Consult the manuals, it either takes just over two bottles or just over 3; meaning the possibility of a 4th.

If you are placing an order for parts from a vendor, they may know the capacity off hand.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
2.4 quarts US measure per the Galant VR4 FSM listed here on the site links.

It did mention GL-4 or higher, so I may be confusing what can be used in earlier Mitsu transmissions with certain styles of syncros.

You cannot go wrong with GL-4 grade, especially a fluid like Redline MT-90 or any parts store GL-4 fluid if you aren't abusing the car regularly.

turboneon

thanks for the help! ill prob just order it from the dealer on local monday. i really do hope that this is where its all coming from. but i have a strange suspicion that there is something else leaking it out. I say this bc that breather was on there 20 miles ago.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'll mention this again for posterity. Redline makes a 75W85 GL4 fluid, which is exactly what the manual calls for for this vehicle.

turboneon

i changed the fluid last night and went on one drive. the oil was burnt and smelled well like burnt gear oil. didnt seem to puke out as much fluid as it did before. only drove around the block

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned