The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing broken wheel studs from the front! Need help.

cupajoe

For the life of me I cannot manage to knock out the broken studs from the hub. I got one of them loose that I can wiggle with my fingers but I can't pop it out like its catching on something. Is there a trick to getting these out? Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

SmoothCustomer

The trick is you have to remove the hub. The abs ring (I believe, I can't remember 100%) is in the way of getting them out. I found that it was cheaper to just buy a used set of front spindles that has a decent bearing in it than removing the hub and replacing the bearing.

Barnes

The ABS ring is blocking the studs. You cannot get the studs out with the ring in place. You can either disassemble the wheel hub with a press (or take it to a shop with a press) OR chop the ABS ring off the hub while it is still together. I think you need a die grinder with a cutting wheel to do this, or maybe a hack saw. Someone on the boards has done it. The latter option of course will make your ABS cease to function.

cupajoe

Well sh*t, guess ill start calling around on monday for another hub assembly. Sucks I have 2 studs broken on oposits sides, I don't think its even drivable huh?

464/2K

i drove mine with only two on the same side and it got to the brake shop ok. be very cautious just dont go over 30mph.

cupajoe

Think aa brake shop would have the proper equipment to replace my studs? Like a press and all?

I removed the studs my self, with a grinder and a cutoff wheel, but you loose your abs. If your abs are working fine then maybe have a shop replace them, but it won't be cheap. I took some pics and posted them, look under 5lug conversion. I put some evo wheels," you lose some you gain some".

cupajoe

Does anyone know if a hub puller would work? Like to separate the hub and bearing? or am I just going to need to take it somewhere with a press? Any help apprecaited. Thanks.

SmoothCustomer

I have heard that those really don't work. I would take it some place with a press. You are going to have to use a press to have it pressed in anyway. Maybe you could have it pressed out, knock the studs out in the parking lot and go back in to save the trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

cupajoe

Haha, yea thats what Im going to do have it pressed out and go swap them all out and run it back in and have it pressed. Already bought all new studs and wheel bearing. Should have it done tomorrow I hope.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned