The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

number3 on the move...

boostedinaz

While we have a good local EMS tuner EMS simply isn't Joe Schmoe friendly like Link is.

Yes AEM EMS is an option and Richard did say he knows how to work with it.

Money is a factor though. Give me some time and I'll have the car back up to 500 hp/tq. I've only had it for a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hell, tomorrow will be a week.

Sorry if some of you are disappointed but the goal today was safety and thats what we achieved.

boostedinaz

If it were me Mike I would go to Tony for EMS tuning. He went to the EMS school and is an authorized dealer.

number3

Quote:
I know Harry once had an AEM EMS on it, why not go that route and get rid of all the piggybacks? Just my 2 cents...

I owned owned the AEM but never had it installed. The car was making 360-375 on a small 16g and 475-500 hp on the 60-1, with out it so I never saw the need. Plus, I could trust them. That wasn't true of the AEM at the time.

AZ is at least 1000 feet above sea level compared than SE PA at 0.
I installed a brand new 3" high flow cat for the sale (big restriction and smelly I might add) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I took off my "racing" filter (A cotton sheet between two screens) and reinstalled the K&N. (probable restriction)
91 octance vrs. 116 octane (got timing?)
18 psi vrs 30 psi (even if you considered everything being equal that is 120 hp right there if you use the 10 hp per PSI rule)

I think you did extremely well, Mike. And it looks like the guys you took it to was a very good choice.

As for the stalling? My guess would be fouled plugs and/or the major difference in the tune needed. It is freezing here in PA and I am sure it is a little warmer in AZ.

atc250r

Staff member
I agree with Harry. Also, if he had it dyno'ed at TTR their dyno always read high. You can never compare results from two different dynos, even if they are the same make and model. Only the dragstrip gives fairly consistent results.

John

turbowop

Run methanol injection in that thing and it'll put the big "race gas" smile on your face everytime you drive it, or go to the dyno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brianawd

click

Get dsmlink some 1600cc injectors and put in some e85. If you don't like that idea meth injection like Mark said.

P.S forget about the AFC and vpc. sh*t is old and outdated.

Last edited:

Nate

3 rode the rolling road at Xotic Motorsports, not TTR.

VPC/AFC car tuned for PA isn't going to run well anywhere but similar elevation locations. Ask the guy who bought the Colt from me; I laid rubber in third and fourth right before putting it on the trailor and once it got to Denver it wouldn't spool before 6K - all tune dependent.

It's probably pig fat rich - higher elevation needs less fuel, but with that urine you guys in Phoenix have to call "premium" you'll probably have to run it fat to keep it from knocking.

Glad you love it - it's definitely a beautiful car.

Nate

BadVr4

+1 more on ditching the vpc/afc. 5 years ago it was the sh*t, but now its just old news. ur gonna need to change the plugs on the thing all the time, don't care what anbody says, and u can get a much better tune with the ems. u already dropped a sh*t load of money on the car, spend the extra money and buy the ems.

number3

It is a S-AFC and VPC combo btw. I put that VPC on number3 in 1997 and added the S afc in 2000 or so.

You can knock the gear but the car runs like a bat out of hell. I bought and AEM when they first came out but at the time cars were blowing up left and right and I wanted no part of that. Today of course it is a different story but I couldn't argue with the plant your ass way way back into the seat feeling the car had as it stood and I could tune it with a knob instead of a laptop.

The car is probably a 600-650 hp car with a AEM at AMS but 500hp is all my goal was I was there. I hope Mike puts a more advance fuel management system on it and gets every once of power out of her if that is what he wants to do. Lord knows the car is built and ready for it.

I'd love to go aem ems right now but funds won't permit me to do so.

I was just on AMS's website looking around because I'm not happy with 313 whp and I'm also not happy running Phoenix's sh*t 91 octane all the time but I don't have a spare 2000-2800 bucks for the whole package.

I will look into other methods or just wait a while and eventually go the aem ems route.

Olson

DSMLink

4Grim

Man I am late on this thread...I haven't been on these boards in awhile. Wow, one of the handful of Galant VR4's that inspired mine was sold. What a beautiful car and couldn't imagine me letting go of mine..but I am sure it was hard for you even though you knew it was time to move on.

As for the new owner, I can only imagine your excitement and anxiousness when the transporter pulled up ready to unload #3. Its good that you are having fun with the car, and enjoying it and getting ready to add your style to it.

Lucky guy and a beautiful Galant.

Brianawd

click

If your not the best at tuning and have never worked with a aem then dsmlink is way more user friendly. There are also car in the 9s with it and making over 800awhp

Spott

Or another option would be to find a software/hardware engineer to completely create a new managemnt system for the car. That way it would be personalized for the car and you.

DON'T YOU THINK #3 IS DESERVING OF THAT AT LEAST.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'll go back to a 1g maf before I have the money or ambition to pay an engineer to create a new ems for me.

I poked around on that dsmlink site, the price is reasonable.

Couple questions that I have if anyone is willing.

With dsmlink will I be able to ditch my vpc/safc combo and continue to run a filter/pipe straight to the turbo?

Basically I don't want to use any type of restrictive maf.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here but it seems like dsmlink is just a program for logging parameters, not an actual engine management system that replaces the ecu, just works with it.

Best bet is to use a GM MAF-t in conjunction with DSMlink. It will give you virtually no restriction, even though you are still using a mas. Another option is MAF-T pro, which works like a new, advanced version of the VPC. It's able to control timing, injectors 60%+/-, datalog, tune to target A/F when used with a wideband. It is a pretty cool setup for the cost IMO.

boostedinaz

Quote:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'll go back to a 1g maf before I have the money or ambition to pay an engineer to create a new ems for me.

I poked around on that dsmlink site, the price is reasonable.

Couple questions that I have if anyone is willing.

With dsmlink will I be able to ditch my vpc/safc combo and continue to run a filter/pipe straight to the turbo?

Basically I don't want to use any type of restrictive maf.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here but it seems like dsmlink is just a program for logging parameters, not an actual engine management system that replaces the ecu, just works with it.

With the current version you still have to use some type of MAF. On my Talon I have a GM MAF that has almost NO restriction. You basically have 3 wires in the middle and a small piece of honeycomb. The newer version of Link (still under works) will have a speed density mode for no MAF at all.

The reality is that if you go to a full stand alone you will be entering a whole new world of tuning that is not user freindly unless you know hot to tune very well. If you don't know how to tune then it is timwe to drop the car off at a tuner and spend money. DSMlink is the PERFECT medium between piggy backs and standalones. It allows you to make EASY changes that don't have the common pitfalls of AFCs or other piggy backs, yet is not a full stand alone.

IMO unless you are trying to ring out the very last HP out of a given setup then EMS is overkill. DSMlink makes it very easy to tune or log by the average Joe or make big power with someone who has experiance.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts