The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No fuel/pulse, but have spark

gijoe985

Car: 92 Galant VR-4From: Ellensburg, WashingtonRegistered: Dec 2007Tech Posts: 326Classifieds Rating: 0Reputation: 

No fuel/pulse, but have spark.

I believe I have narrowed down my problem to the ECM, but I wanted to verify it first because my ECM just got back from ECMtuning a little while ago and I didn't want to send it back to them for nothing. 1992 Galant Vr4. Was running fine. We swapped the cruise control system back in that had previously been removed and while that was taking place the alarm went off and we had a hard timing turning it off. I only mention this because in case there is some connection I am unaware of, I wanted to state it. Since then the fuel pump is not turning on and we have no injector pulse. The fuel pumpdoes not have power going to it. I have tested the MPI and harness and it is ok. I also checked the majority of the fuses, specifically the ones that could be related. I am a high school shop teacher and this is a class project. I'm always aware of the X factor of teenagers, so I am trying to make sure I don't overlook something stupid they might have messed up. As far as I understand the CAS would create a no spark scenario, so it should be good. Any other tests? I have looked through the FSM and have no seen a troubleshooting flow chart. Which was surprising to me. Again, I did follow the diagnosis procedure for the MPI and harness which Alldata had and it concluded that if everything passes that it was an ECM problem or an intermittent problem. And since the problem is constant, ECM looks highly likely. Anyway, last note is that I did pull the ECM and it passed a visual inspection. I believe the ECM for a GVR4 is different than a regular 1g because of the MAF flow being different. Otherwise I'd try to find one to swap with. Any other ideas?

ktmrider

Look again at what the CAS does, or more specifically how to test it. Hint, fuel injector activation/pulse.

gijoe985

I am also discussing this on the DSM tuners forum and it was said that the CAS also controls spark, so I would have no spark if it were bad.

strokin4dr

You can swap it a 1g dsm ecu to see if it runs the car. The maf is only slightly different so it's not a bigger deal. I run a 1g awd ecu (with a case swap) on my vr4 with ecmlink.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned