The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First start issues - no spark, plug id, hot alternator relay

trunks

I'm trying to start the car with new engine installed but I've got a couple of things going wrong:

-My alternator relay gets very hot with just the ignition turned on.
-No spark. I've swapped out the coil pack, transistor pack, checked resistance on the cas, and the ecu is fresh back from ecm tuning. I had very weak spark when I first started cranking and it dwindled down to nothing. I checked the coil pack plug with my multi meter and I think my wiring harness may be damaged. I am missing a home for a two plug connector underneath the air filter so I want to make sure this isn't it before I tear the harness open:

I'm assuming that the relay is hot from a short - perhaps the coil plug wiring hopefully?

trunks

Well, I found a wire that was somewhat open and fixed it. I have spark now but the car wouldn't start still. So it did a cold compression test and was only reading 90. I did some reading and I didn't bleed the lifters when installing the cams. Bled them now tonight, and I'm waiting until tomorrow to crank again and check compression. I'm just praying that I didn't bend any valves in the whole process.

trunks

I'm still getting 90 cold on compression. When I turn the crank by hand it's pretty difficult to get it past the compression stroke. I guess I'm going to have to pull the f'ing head now. Engine had 7 miles on it when I bought it and I know compression is low until the rings break in but this is way too low. I can't think of anything else that it would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned