The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 940/1000!!!!

Nomore78

Hello everyone so ended up buying the red originally green galant vr4 I asked you guys about. It was three weeks ago, I live in Colombia, so I bought the car 3 weeks ago in bogota which is almost 9000 ft high and everything checked ok for a 23 year old car, had it shipped to my hometown Cartagena by truck which is at sea level. So when getting her off the truck the battery died and it smelled like gas. Ok new battery but no spark, just flooded. So I called the seller they said I saw get put on the truck they don't now. The car has haltech platinum 1000 so called the guy that installed it and says altitude shouldn't affect it. I say ok, start towing and by half of mile going 30 it sputters back to life and start running but spitting raw fuel and get it to my house. Long story short there's only 3 haltech techs in the country so ended having to fly the guy to do a new fuel map and the car started running better. He count finish the tune because the car is bogging at 5500 rpm and he says the software isn't showing anything unusual. There were some other important thing to look like small oil leek,alternator wasn't charging properly after some research figured out it must have been the steering pump leaking on it too, a coolant leak on turbo hoses, the Ac is not working(that's a must were Iive). So that's we're I'm at.

Nomore78

Beside the color which I wish was green, it's pretty straight. By now I'm waiting on some new plug wires and looking fir a good reference for an alternator, read some stuff online but not sure which one. I'm thinking remanufactured couse those look the best online

Nomore78

Car specs that i now. It has a haltech platinum, graveyard block (not sure which,) but a 2.3, the turbo is g20 not really goodie, I think that's the origina head, 3 inch exhaust , bad his bov but kinda works and I'll be learning mor about the car in coming days. But picking a good alternator is my priority right now does this car really need more than the 90a version, or more is better?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Welcome. I remember the previous owner being on this board. You may be able to find some of his posts still on here.

The 90 A alternator should be sufficient unless you expect to run many accessories like lighting or something.

Last edited:

Nomore78

It already has a amp and some hid fog lamps and high beams I took out the low beams they were shorted.
Thanks for the info I am looking at a denso 210-4282 remanufactured but it's 140a does that or stick with the 90a and save a couple of bucks, I'm trying to keep the Ac and its hot were I live??

ApexHunter

Was the previous owner Andres? I seem to remember a pretty well modified vr4 down there; think it was his. I thought he had a GT3076 on it but that was long ago.

Cheapo voltage regulator is generally the weak link in most reman'd alternators. The proximity to the turbine outlet and downpipe gives it a tough life. Denso would be near the top of my list if I wasn't able to score a Genuine Mitsu part.

citymunky

Is it just me, but I'm the only one that really like the way GVR-4 wear red paint? It just fits IMO, and I'm not a big fan of red cars by no means.

Nomore78

Yes it was andres car, he sold it Cesar , that changed a lot of parts but never quite finished, so putting some love into the galant. I've reading about he heat and the alternator, also the ps leaks, got does. Refurbish mine here is 300 dollars and the guy says he can make 130A, so I looked on eBay and can get 160 a denso with 140 A, where should I spent my money, any help will be appritiate

ApexHunter

If you want to give your local guy a shot, just make sure you can trust him to help you if you have a problem. The Denso is probably going to be a good part, but if you have any issues it could be more difficult and costly to deal with the US based vendor. The deciding factor will be which alternator can deal with HOT better. I would bet on the Denso.

fuel

who knew a VR-4 looked good red huh?

thomcasey

Wrap your downpipe with heat tape. Since the Mistu alternator pulls air from cooling from the rear, it will give the alternator much better chance of life if you keep the air it take in kinda cool. I have been running cheap parts store alternators for a couples years with no issues since wrapping the downpipe.

Nice colour bro!!!!

Nomore78

Thanks for the help, and for supporting the red, maybe it wil start growing on me. I think I will go with the denso that way I will have alt in the future. The thing with wrapping the down pipe is that here at sea level and so much rust we wash our car underneath once or twice a week so wrapping ends up rusting the pipe earlier, so I'll think about that one. Once I get all these issues resolved I will stat tuning the haltech!, I will keep updating

Nomore78

Thomcasey how does your 300e dd treat you, I can get those in station wagon for very cheap, they look so clean because the owner usually takes car of them. They look kind of cool everyday drivers!

transparentdsm

you need to make 2 shields, one to block the o2 housing and downpipe from putting heat on the alternator and one that goes under your power steering pump and covers the top of the alt. that way if it leaks it wont drip onto the alternator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned