The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of 1837/2000

Brett Adams' Galant VR-4

DSSA

Quoting EHmotorsports:
I think you need to take a step back and calm down. like I posted before that this is the best shiftier on the market and it is priced right. I wasn't being sarcastic. And again it is very easy to make a 3kg shifter work in a gvr4 or dsm. that's it! No ulterior motive pal. You didn't reinvent the wheel and if you feel this isn't an easy job then you need to expand your fabricating skill set. entry level at best.

I see, so it was just a dick-waving exhibition for you. Bravo!

Did anyone but you claim that there was someone saying that there was a highly skilled process in making these? You stated that it "was just two bushings". My response was that "No, it's not a complex conversion, but you're over-simplifying it" which was proven.

I bow to your accomplishment in coming into a thread and downplaying a product--"don't build a better product, it's easier to downplay everyone else's". If I had more time in my "processes of making plenty of money" ( I see now that you're a CPA and know my financials as well) I'd pick apart your Facebook brag page. However, I'm comfortable enough with myself to not trouble with it. I simply bow to your omnipotence and bow out.

Good day.

EHmotorsports

I believe you were butt hurt about my comment and then blew this out of hand. You asked me and I replied. Just because you don't like what I said gives you no right to start making personal threats against my " Facebook brag page" as you put it. That page is setup for people that apretiate cars in any form or fashion. And is up to them if they want to follow my posts. If I really wanted to Brag I would post everything I do here and say hey guys look at me!!! I have not and will not ever do that. If my customers want to post something about me they can but I never ask for it. I started working on cars and fabricating because I have a passion for it. I feel it's very sad that you have to resort to personal attacks when it was you that is over complicating this encounter. You don't have to like it but I will always say it like it is. Some like that and others don't. But I will never lie to you.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Call the authorities! We've got a code 402, THREADJACK IN PROGRESS!

I made my own out of a 3k shifter, and i like it a lot. I think i made mine a little shorter on the top half than JNZ does. It was a huge pain in the ass, though. It took me a couple of hours to sort it all out. Cutting, grinding, welding, install, test, remove, and so on. Then i finally painted it and clearanced around the shifter boot (inside) so it wouldn't have any interference.

If i didn't already have a welder, there's no way in hell i would have even attempted this. I would have just bought one from JNZ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JNZ is great.

I hope you guys are done bickering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

EHmotorsports

No worries I am done voicing my opinions on here.

GSTwithPSI

I swapped in the external oil cooler setup this weekend. It bolted up great, and should take care of the oil filter loosening up. I had to loosen the lower part of the timing cover to get to one of the bolts on the OFH. As I pulled the timing cover away, I found a little surprise...
WP_000662.jpg

How long this has been broken is a mystery. Looks to have been chillin under the timing cover for a while though. I got lucky that it didn't take out the timing belt. The tensioners and idler look really old too. All have noticeable play in the bearings. The hydraulic tensioner looks factory old.

I ordered all new stuff from Rockauto. Figured I'd replace all the drive belts while I was at it. It sucks I have to do an unplanned timing belt job, but at least I'll have peace of mind, and know it's done correctly. Having a fresh timing belt is never a bad thing I suppose.

GSTwithPSI

You'd think you could, but the difference is negligible. The rough riding suspension probably masked some of it, and the stock motor mounts probably absorbed much of it as well.

coyotes

Timing on my engine jumped when my previous mechanic did the job wrong, it jumped 3 degrees timing + the oil pump was off 180 degrees... I could definitely feel it.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, there's a big difference between our scenarios though. In my case, the front balance shaft just wasn't turning. Everything else was in order, including the rear balance shaft which was still in sync. There's probably no more vibration created in this case than there would be by actually doing a BSE.

When you get a balance shaft out of sync, that's a whole different story. In your case, not only is the balance shaft not dampening vibrations by countering the crankshaft, it is amplifying vibrations by being all out of whack. Add 3 degrees of jacked up mechanical timing to your scenario, and there's no doubt anyone would feel it.

G

Staff member
"It sucks I have to do an unplanned timing belt job"

How can it be unplanned? You're telling me you were never going to check it? Wtf? I would figure with the let downs of this car not being as rust free as first thought, that the po's mechanical/ service history would be one of the first things you would call in to question. It's apparent the po was more concerned with jdm cosmetic details than actual maintenance and reliability.

coyotes

that is why I have been spending a lot of $$$ on maintenance and such, my car's history is well documented but it is better to be safe than sorry. Nothing is more satisfying than when your car is in order and running reliably. I know there is plenty still for me to go through though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

At least you found it now and not when your timing belt breaks or a pulley locks up.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting G:
"It sucks I have to do an unplanned timing belt job"

How can it be unplanned? You're telling me you were never going to check it? Wtf? I would figure with the let downs of this car not being as rust free as first thought, that the po's mechanical/ service history would be one of the first things you would call in to question. It's apparent the po was more concerned with jdm cosmetic details than actual maintenance and reliability.

It's unplanned because Anthony (the PO) said the timing belt had been done less than 6K ago. So, aside from pulling the top cover and giving the belt a look, I wasn't going to tear it down and check it anytime soon. I was under the assumption that the balance shaft belt was done when the timing belt was, since I don't know anyone who changes a timing belt without doing the balance shaft belt too. Apparently this wasn't the case, and whoever changed the timing belt didn't do the balance shaft belt. It could have failed when he still owned the car, who knows. This was all according to Anthony, who didn't do the actual work. He gave me the information he knew, and I trusted his word.

As far as let downs go, you don't know what the f*** you are talking about. From what I'm told, Anthony daily drove this car until the day I bought it, so the car is plenty reliable. Cars aren't reliable without maintenance (especially these cars), so you do the math. I wouldn't question anything Anthony says, as he's a trustworthy guy IMO, who has the same reputation here on the forum. Anthony said he didn't know about the rust issue (which really wasn't even an issue), and I believe him since the area was completely hidden by the fender.

Bottom line, Anthony took great care of this car, and has never been dishonest to me. You should hold your tongue and refrain from dragging names through the dirt unless you have some insight on the issue at hand. More concerned with jdm cosmetic details than actual maintenance and reliability??? Really? STFU, GTFO, and stop shitting up my thread with your nonsense G.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
You said it yourself ! lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

"The tensioners and idler look really old too. All have noticeable play in the bearings. The hydraulic tensioner looks factory old."

Don't cry if you overpaid or were lied to.

"It's unplanned because Anthony (the PO) said the timing belt had been done less than 6K ago"

Really? You are going to believe that with out any documentation? Receipts? Anything? C'mon bro I know you were born at night, but not last night.

Last edited:

turbowop

I know I've had issues in threads with Brett, but goddamn...G is a complete prick. Dude needs to f*** off with his comments in others' threads, IMO.

GSTwithPSI

You sure are making a lot of ASSumptions there, G. Especially seeing as you don’t have a f***ing clue what I paid for this car. Second, you don’t even know Anthony. Only a complete tool would talk sh*t about someone they don’t know anything about. Especially when that person is a respected member of the forum here: click

I’m not going to sit here and speculate about what was or wasn’t replaced by whoever did the timing belt job on the car last. Since that person wasn’t Anthony, it doesn’t matter anyways. Nobody is pointing fingers but you, and I have no idea why the hell you even care. Nowhere in my post was I ever crying or insinuating I was lied to, so I’m not even sure where you are getting that from.

I don’t care who you are, you should never purchase a 20+ year old car and expect everything to be perfect. These cars don’t come with a dealer warranty where you can drive back and whine about squeaks and leaks. No matter who had the car last, or what level of work was or wasn’t done, you should expect to get your hands dirty, or be prepared to shell out the cash for someone to do it for you. I’m sure Vampid had a pile of receipts for his build, and did you see James Foster crying when the car crankwalked? No, because sh*t happens. Everyone here probably has a gripe or two about something dumb a PO has done to their car. It’s nice to bitch and cry about it sometimes, but at the end of the day you take sh*t as it comes, and unless there’s something malicious that a PO has hidden from you, then suck it the f*** up and push on.

The thing is, not once have I bitched or cried about 1837, or Anthony. I've encountered some issues that come with owning a 20 year old car, and that's the extent of it. Truthfully, this is one of the few cars I’ve owned where the PO did a good job modifying the car. I’ll take some old timing components, a busted balance shaft belt, and a little rust repair over hacked wiring and amateur mod jobs any day. Move on G, and quit being a complete douche bag.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
It's just me, I can't see taking someones word on previous maintenance without proof. No matter who they are. So imo the t/b work should have been planned anyway and at the top of the list before cosmetic issues. You said it was "unplanned" which is unfathomable to me.

On another note I don't get how people start public threads about their builds etc.......... and then get but hurt when opinions are posted that they don't agree with? You should know that everyone is going to add their 2 cents.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'm fine with people throwing in their 2 cents. Let recap what your 2 cents is:

-Anthony is full of sh*t, and cares about JDM mods, not vehicle maintenance. (you don't even know the guy)
-According to you, I overpaid for the car and was lied to. (you have no idea what I even paid for it)
-A receipt means something ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif )
-Apparently, you do a full engine tear-down on everything you buy, unless you have a receipt stating something was serviced/replaced/whatever.
-A trustworthy person's word does't mean sh*t, unless they have a receipt.

Now, maybe some of the things in the list above were't explicitly said, but were certainly implied by the ignorant comments spewing out of your mouth. Receipts don't really mean dick. I wonder what Cyotes did with the receipt he got for the first botched timing belt job that was done on his car? I'd guess he probably wiped his ass with it. Others throwing in their 2 cents is fine, it's just that nobody wants to hear yours.

Quoting turbowop:
Dude (G) needs to f*** off with his comments in others' threads, IMO.

^This

oldman_tau

G,

Iv been using my car daily to work. You didnt know how much work and time iv done to it. You never see me post negative comments on anybody here because i dont know them personally

If i missed something on my car I am not a perfect person like you that know everything.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Brett, im glad you found/saw this before something happened.

and as far as the G thing is concerned, i agree, maybe he's going through menopause because he's been really bitchy about things on the forum lately.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned